Flash projector and pop-up windows

• charlotte
  • charlotte
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

There must be a way around this.
I have java popups as part of the nav in my online site but for creating my offline cd the java popups won't obviously work from the flash projector because they only work within html. And I can only make the popups work from the projector by forcing the users browser to open first which means they would see a pointless open browser window with the popup jumping in behind it.
So what I want to find out is , can you somehow force the browser window to open straight to the sized popup when the projector is being used?
Or can I code the linked html without js so it has no toolbars etc? and then just use the straight getURL command in the swf for the link?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes you can. when you use the window.open method you can assign all the properties for the window.
  • charlotte
  • charlotte

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you give me an example of how you would execute the method?
Are you talking about adding window.open to a button in flash and then...?
It would really help if you could be more specific because I am honestly lost on this one.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You must declare the "javascript:" protocall in order for getURL() to use javascript.

Example,
Code: [ Select ]
button.onPress = function(){
   getURL("javascript:window.open('popup.html');");
}
  1. button.onPress = function(){
  2.    getURL("javascript:window.open('popup.html');");
  3. }

Before you run off & try this you may want to read on :wink:

getURL() will open the users default browser & pass the url string ie "javascript:window.open(url, height, width, ect...)" There is a BIG problem with this, it causes an endless loop of popup windows :(
(go ahead & try it, just make sure you have "end process" ready :wink: )

As for a workaround, the only I know of is opening the "pointless" window you first mentioned but add "self.close();" after the window.open(); The drawback is 9/10 browsers will prompt the user before closing the patch window since there was no user initiated event firing it. (button press, link click, ect..)
  • charlotte
  • charlotte

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed

This will not work because it doesn't get around the problem of initial browser window opening.

I think I will have to have a test window in the beg of the proj's swf which opens up the users browser and tells them to keep it active but sneak in a now close here button :P I'll pretend I'm testing for quicktime player or something:P Sick of being stuck on it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts