Flash site won't stop looping

• MetaMonger
  • Loc: Knowhere

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm working in Flash CS3 using AS3 ... I have a web site designed entirely in flash... when I publish and preview the site ... it just keeps looping... ???

I've added stop(); to the top most layer but it won't stop ... aaarrrgghh!

Any ideas?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

where exactly did you add stop(); ? The last frame?

If so, check your HTML publish settings and make sure the option to loop is not checked.
  • MetaMonger

Post 3+ Months Ago

the option to loop is not checked.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it the Main Flash movie that keeps looping? Or is it a movie clip within the main timeline?

Do you have a place to upload the FLA? Would be easier if we could see what you're talking about.
  • MetaMonger

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
where exactly did you add stop(); ? The last frame?

That's a good question... i'm using a flash site from something like Template Monster... the site is composed of many movies and symbols... the main stage has with many layers... each with only one keyframe... each layer controls a section of the site... a movie clip or an action was dropped into a keyframe on its corresponding layer... The stop(); was placed in the topmost layer after a bunch of code.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's probably not in the correct place then.

First thing you need to determine is exactly "what" is looping.
Then find the action script that's associated with that movie clip. That's most likely where your stop action should go, and it should be on the last frame of that MC
  • MetaMonger

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everything is looping... the stage is set to load about 9 clips... they are all looping... they all have stop(); actions applied to the last keyframe... this is outside of my Flash know-how.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you upload the FLA anywhere so we can look?
  • MetaMonger

Post 3+ Months Ago

sure i'll post a link sometime soon.
  • MetaMonger

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.hyperdelicious.com/cams/fla.zip

thanks for checking into it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the file. Just so you know, I'm still novice with AS3, but not with Flash or AS2. I think I know where your problem originates from but not certain what to do about it yet.

If you've noticed your output errors when you preview your movie you have two output errors.
Quote:
Symbol 'AboutUs_MC, Layer 'Layer2' Frame 32, Line 1 1120: Access of undefined property Global.
Symbol 'AboutUs_MC, Layer 'Layer2' Frame 32, Line 1 1120: Access of undefined property Global.

If you go to your AboutUs_MC symbol on Frame 32 the action script is:
Code: [ Select ]
leftHeader.gotoAndStop(Global.vars.currentPage);
leftText.gotoAndStop(Global.vars.currentPage);
  1. leftHeader.gotoAndStop(Global.vars.currentPage);
  2. leftText.gotoAndStop(Global.vars.currentPage);

The problem is Global isn't defined. Now if you comment out both of those lines. You get the same error for DarkWindow_MC
Quote:
Symbol 'DarkWindow_MC, Layer 'Layer4' Frame 1, Line 8 1120: Access of undefined property Global.

Your Action script there is
Code: [ Select ]
Global.vars.trailerMenu.gotoAndPlay("hide");

I suspect if I commented that out, it would throw another similar error in another symbol. Problem is, I'm not certain where Global should have been defined.

So I think what is happening is when you edited your template, you changed, or lost where Global is defined. You need to search through your original template FLA and find where global is defined and then add that back in to your current FLA.

I think that will fix it. Like I said, I am not in anyway an expert with AS3 but troubleshooting your output errors is the logical step in fixing things. Hope that helps.

Honestly, I'm not even certain why "Global.vars.currentPage" is in there. for gotoAndPlay and gotoAndStop the parameter would normally be a frame label or a frame number.
  • MetaMonger

Post 3+ Months Ago

nor am i an expert in Flash/AS3... i tried and noticed the same... and came up with the same conclusion... this is reassuring... is it possible that somewhere an external file is being called that might contain Global variables?

I noticed a few import. statements (ie import.flash.net*)... and wasn't sure if they were calling external files or not. Is the import statement similar to PHP's include?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well looking a little closer, I think you have some external classes missing.

flash.net is a built in Class in AS3 so that's OK

However, I'm not seeing a lot of imports that I think should be there. particularly for your mouse event listeners.

In addition I noticed you are missing the caurina.transitions.Tweener class which is imported in your MenuBar_MC. That is definitely an external class
http://code.google.com/p/tweener/ (you can download the caurina.transitions classes here - it contains about a dozen classes including Tweener) but that and any other external classes should have been included when you bought the template and should all be located in the same folder as your FlA and SWF files. When you download caurina and unzip it, you need to place the entire caurina folder in your work folder.
caurina.transitions.Tweener is a path name in AS3 like caurina/transitions/Tweener is in Windows.

I also see in your main timeline of scene 1, it looks like the actionscript originally created a carousel. Layer 6 Frame 1 it is commented out, but on the Carousel layer of scene 1 it is not. Creating a carousel would also require an external class.

Look thoroughly through the original files that came with your template and make sure you've copied over any {filename}.as files you find there exactly as you find them to your work folder.

The other clip that require the caurina.transitions.Tweener class is
leftText

I already had the caurina.transitions classes and I added them, but it didn't solve the looping problem so my conclusion is there's a missing carousel class that should be imported in the original that is not in yours. I'm thinking once you get the proper classes for the template, you should probably remove any stop actions you yourself manually added.

Hope that gives you some direction.
  • MetaMonger

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for checking into this... it gives me a few directions to troubleshoot in. i'll post my findings later.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts