Flash SWF file size Unchanged when removed library items

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flash 8
AS2

I have a flash presentation I run on my screen in my office. The fla has several high quality pngs that I figured were the cause of the high file size of the fla as well as the swf. I hadn't worried about the filesize because it just runs on my machine, but today I was adding some more pngs and thought I might save all the pngs as jpgs and re-import them to the library and that will probably reduce my swf size. It didn't work. In fact, after removing all the pngs from my fla and importing the jpg equivalent the filesize actually went up. I don't think I've ever ran into this before. All the jpegs in their properties read Imported JPEG: original = 8208.0 kb, compressed = 205 kb, 2% of original. I don't know where 8208kb comes from cause the actual filesize in windows explorer is 205kb. Of course, each file reads a different compressed but the orginial 8208 number is the same for all of them...??

Thanks for any explanation.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I saved the fla as a new file and it now shows a new, lower file size but unfortunately the compressed swf is still the same size as it was with the pngs. I guess a 40MB fla with pngs will compress to a swf just as good as a 17MB fla using jpegs??

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts