•  
    Swish

FLASH vs. SWISH

• SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

ooooook, not sure i follow u about gettin u shot, but ah well. Nah I dont go out on the town 2 much 2 rowdy around my place :D, probably pick up some friends later but otherwise, Im having fun right here!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• xBLEEDINGxMETALx
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the positive encourage ment, and no, I have not even tried swish 2.0 and I dont think I will. Do u think I should? If so, tell me why.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good am to ozzu's,

Quote:
ooooook, not sure i follow u about gettin u shot
sharkshark, just a saying here when we may get into trouble for not doing something we should lolol..mmm..same here i don't go to town neither..not worth it !!

xBLEEDINGxMETALx, hi, the Swish2, well its not got the same capabilities that the max has, not a lot you can do with Flash that you can't do with the max..although i say that at the risk of ozzus's getting on to me for that statement lololol
Normally if someone is struggling with max, they are usually advised to get familiur with Swish2 first, then move up a rung, but you hav'nt needed to do that !!
Keep up the good work, remember xBLEEDINGxMETALx, if you need anything explained in more detail then visit http://www.swishtalk.com !
There is a re-direct at my board to Swish help, flashx is pretty good at that and his new mod mobosof is a bit of a Swish guru, so ask any questions there, mobosof is also a team member at Swishtalk, you'll find flashx help at my board via the re-direct, but he's currently off-line till monday.
Also you can visit http://www.swishzone.com/forums/index.php, check that site on a weekly basis foor updates to the Swish software, but i always have their latest news at my board too. Swish studio (create an exe) is my latest news from Swishzone.
suzie.
:)
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some for and against Swishmax:
A debate i came accross at Swishzone this am:
Roger Swish developer:
SWiSHmax scripting is probably 99% of Flash MX scription and
about 90% of MX 2004. Flash MX has a couple of methods which
you cannot use with SWISHma because they refer to library
symbol linkage names (which SWISHmax does not support). Flash
MX 2004 adds classes, error trapping and variable typing.
SWiSHmax has the variable typing of MX 2004 (that Flash MX
didn't have), but doesn't have the classes and error trapping.
Outside of scripting, SWiSHmax doesn't have shape tweening, and
doesn't have direct support of video streaming. However, you
can use third party tools to create streaming SWF videos that
you can use with SWISHmax. Flash MX also has several components
you can use, however, many Flas hdeveloper avoid them because
they are very 'generic' and add lots of bloat to your SWF files
because they have ot ahndle lots of variations and combinations
.. whereas if you make the objects yourself, you can provide
only the functionality you need and not get burdened by lots of
unnecessary script etc.
That's pretty much the extent of the differences between the
two .. except SWiSHmax behaves in a more 'standard' way
compared to other apps .. Flash has a rather 'unique' interface
that is not all that intuitive if you've used other windows
apps. SWiSH is less complicated in terms of timelines .. there
is no need for layers or for converting shapes to symbols in
order to tween them, or to create symbols in the library in
order to reuse things.
http://www.swishzone.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=24&t=7744&s=78b3c0dabf64453217ad13ba1cd0ce6b
And a simular debate here, this is because a member had seen the Swishzone debate and wanted to know what Swishtalk members thought of Swishmax v Flashmx:
Swishtalk debate:
http://www.swishtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29479
And that led me to what Brian Ayers owner of Swishtalk has to say here:
http://www.swishtalk.com/showthread.php ... hmax+Flash]Some swishmax examples[/url]

I love Swish debates lololol
suzie.
:D
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, thanks, I think ill just skip swish 2 and progress in MAX
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I think ill just skip swish 2 and progress in MAX
why have bacon when you can have ham xBLEEDINGxMETALx
you don't need Swish2, your doing great with max !
suzie.
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, ok, thanks
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The web site is great, you have the technology (Max help) to do better..now hit the super highway lolol
suzie.
and thankyou for coming to se us...and i don't have a moderator for the Swish at mine, you might like to cosider the job, i just set the forums up, i wanted to be boss somewhere for a change lmaoooo i'm not that good with creation, maybe in time you can put tuts in for me.
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure, Ill do what I can, IM me on AIM when ya can
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi xBLEEDINGxMETALx,
Just leave me a pm at my swishmagic when you have time, then iet me know what you want to do, theres no hurry as no asked any questions as yet lol they seem to reg then go, now that could be the board allows them to look..i think, but to get to flash x through mine via re-direct, then they have to reg , see he has the help for Swish via another mod of his there, then there is a re-direct to templates made by the same mod, then another mod is in charge of the games, again another re-direct from mine. but i need someone there for when flash goes off-line on frid till monday, even if its only a few tutorials to keep them going.
Of course xBLEEDINGxMETALx, there are links to other Swish help sites if they want it, but they just reg and go lmaooooo
I have two new reg's this am, i hav'nt been yet, but i doubt they will ask anything.
See you later xBLEEDINGxMETALx, and thanks for your time.
suzie.
:)
  • dove-7
  • dove-7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Susie,

don't apologoze nor let anyone intimidate you. You are expressing what you feel about Swish. I use both Swishmax and Flash MX, the latest version.

There is some denial on this forum from some. While other flash programs have come and gone, there was a lack of creativity from those other Flash like programs, like that from Adobe. It's not hard to believe those other program died when the programs were just as complex as Flash and had nothing really different. Swish has endured for some years now. A company can't continue to make better programs if the company is going to decline. Sounds like a bunch of Macromedia egos around here. Some of you cats are just as bad as the photographers (I'm a photographer) that I know who have the C*non vs N!kon vs etc..camera.

Swishmax has taken Flash to a level that MX doesn't nor others didn't have. Making easier to do things. Swishmax has taken the old Swish1 and 2 to the level and gaining quickly on Flash Macromedia. I Gaurentee you that the next Swish will be on the same level that Flash MX is on and in time will surpass it. Surpass it or will force Macromedia to do what they are doing in order to compete. Plus the price makes it tempting too.

Swish and MX both have advantages and disdvantages. Swishmax also gives you things that doesn't exist in MX.

For those who claim that others have copied Macromedia. Well, Macromedia wasn't the original owner of the software. They purchased it from two guys who created it in their garage and polished it up. You know, just like Swishzone has done buy making it easy. Swishzone has answered many prayers out there. Finding a animated program that isn't so complex.

What's also interesting is I'm seeing some things in MX that is in the Swish program that wasn't originally in the Flash programs.

And before those out their who are praising Flash and downing Swish, Macromedia hasn't been without their problems and limitations. Go and read up on those issues and why Macromedia had to get their stuff together when they came out with MX. And even with the MX, they had to fix bugs in the program....

Swish is no wanna be company that will come and go. They've been around for a while now and is very big here in the States. I've found a Bible book on Swishmax. Swishmax can be easy and just as complex as MX and will become more popular and rival MX because it already is. Just like people didn't see nor think that AMD could compete with Pentium. But look what has happened over the years.

Keep on giving credit where credit is due Susie.
  • dove-7
  • dove-7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shark,

the site that you displayed can be done in Swishmax equally and faster.

That site that you are displaying isn't all that complex. The interface/flash page is obvious done in Adobe, if be Photoshop or Illustrator. This is where most of the creativity and individualism begins. After that, the animation and all is Flash or Swish. I've seen some state of the art Swish sites that are out there.

Now if you can teleport from your website, then you have something to say. Otherwise.

I can duplicate that site in Swishmax.
  • yuriythebest
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Ukraine

Post 3+ Months Ago

umm, xBLEEDINGxMETALx, as far as I can tell it'd good ole apahce (judging from the error page I got instead of the site).
As for the debate, I have to admit I haven't tried or even seen swish except for the title of the program, but for some who prefer speed to control it's sure a good deal, as for me - flash mx 2004!! I've been with flash since version 5, and my love for it only grows, simply because there really is no limit to learning it, and getting better at it. The rest are just trying to make a quick buck and are in its shadows, if you respect yourself computerwise- go with flash. One of the things I like about it is the price- here in Ukraine where piracy is still completely legal I bought it for 1.3$ (the 2004 version).
  • dove-7
  • dove-7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Swishzone isn't just some company trying to make a quick buck. The company is still in the game and is catching up to Flash MX. The program is alot bigger than what you think. As a matter of fact, the company has made a special text program for MX users. Go to Swishzone.com and see how big the company and community is. It's bigger than your assumptions and is Flash MX competition and getting bigger. http://www.swishzone.com. The company has a better support than Flash MX. Quick to get on bugs that MX may take time to correct. The Company is always openminded to what the users want to see. And a new version that is in beta right now is just around the corner. Watchout Flash. BTW, if Flash is all that, then why did the company sold to Adobe? Something to think about. Swishmax is just as complex and hightech as Flash Mx , but the whole entire point of the program is to make it easy to use.
  • dove-7
  • dove-7

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.computerscorp.com/content.html

here's one example of the power of Swishmax
  • giggy
  • Born
  • Born
  • giggy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dove-7 has good points,

Flash MX or Swish ?

http://www.wistudios.com
  • contstrictor
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • contstrictor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally i think Swish is for banner ads. You cannot attempt to do half of what you can do in flash with swish.

As i said before that's my opinion.
  • contstrictor
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • contstrictor

Post 3+ Months Ago

After reading a few more threads i have to agree with the moderator on this one. I'm a web professional, i need to know where something has gone wrong if the need arises. I need to know which part of my code needs tweaking. I use other Languages as well and i have found out that the flexibility of flash and Actionscript's "extendability" in XML etc cannot be undermined.

Here's my Analogy Swish Works like windows.
Flash in Linux

With windows you are absolutely "protected" from the back end
with Linux you can take a look under the hood and make your own changes if you know what you're doing.
  • mobosof
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

To each there own.
I've no qualms with flash or swish??, though i stumbled onto swish purely as an alternative to the cost of flash and never looked back, the boundaries between both narrow daily...

And dont forget you guru's have had the product for years :) actionscript is a new endeavour for we swishers..but we're getting there :)

And it's entirely down to the excellent examples at kirupa or flashkit etc that help me understand the scripting side...the point i guess i'm trying to make is if you're happy with what you know and a product you like..you stick with it and learn to love it as you understand more.
and i think if you look at some of the work that's coming out you'll change your mind constrictor :) yes there's still the cheesy effects etc and the banner ads but there's a whole new field opening up too.
I wont sway you one way or the other, you have your opinion as a die-hard pro who cut his teeth on flash, but there are a few things out there that show the similarity of flash..and getting better :)
  • Xpell
  • Born
  • Born
  • Xpell

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think Swish in version "Max" can do a lot of things like flash. Even flash has more options in scripting and communication with other programms, but to build a normal flashsite you can also use Swish Max.

Our website http://www.xpell.com is build with Swish Max. In contrast to it http://www.derbaumann.com was build in Flash.

The only thing i miss in swish is formtweening. But i hope in the next version of swish it is contained.

Reagrds

Marc Burdorf
GERMANY

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 50 posts