• Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was wondering which you use (if any) and what you think are the
advantages and/or disadvantage of each.

I personally love flash mx, and think swish is for "canned animations,"
not allowing for much creativity. Very good things are made with swish,
I have no doubts about that, but I just think Flash is a far superior
product and I prefer it.

What do you all think about FLASH or SWISH?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I agree. Flash MX is definetely the way to go if you are a seriouis Flash designer. However if you are trying to just pump something simple out fast, Swish is the way to go. For example on the bottom of

http://www.bigwebmaster.com/

you will see a copyright animation which I did in Swish. I believe to do that in Flash MX it would have taken much much longer. Also the fact I do not know how to use that Flash interface for the most part, it would probably take me a week. With Swish it was much faster (althought I still have to figure out how to make that gradient, which took some effort).

Anyway as far as capability, Flash MX is the way to go. For simple, fast, elegant, not too creative animations, Swish is the way to go.

I voted Swish only because I am not the serious Flash designer and only use flash to accentuate my designs.
  • Cheez00
  • Loc: Lodi, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

well if you plan to make any money, or go past the first stages of animated web design, definitely flash... but swish can be help ful ( i heard somewher that you can import swish into flash) so for some intro type things that effect he mentioned would be much easier in swish, but as far as capability and options, flash mx all the way
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheez00 wrote:
well if you plan to make any money, or go past the first stages of animated web design, definitely flash

I would agree and disagree with that statement. It really depends on exactly what area you are in. If you are a Web Design site which makes websites for clients, you definetely want to know Flash to be able to impress your clients and keep them coming back.

However, if your service isn't making websites for others, but selling products, or selling ads by providing a useful resource, then I wouldn't say Flash is necessary or better. Its not necessarily worse either. It really all depends many factors and who your audience is.
  • KingzD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, Flash is definately more preferred for a corporate business or to even make an eye-glazing animation. Not saying that SWiSH sucks, but Flash is alot more flexible; as SWiSH has a few simple devices inside that allow you to do simple stuff.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think Swish allows the full blown Actionscript ability that I am looking for. I will stick with my Flash MX :)

I will admit that the newer versions of Swish are capable of a lot more than previous versions which still allow for more creativity, I still think it is more limiting than Flash despite that fact that it is easier to use. But I don't animate much so I don't care :twisted:
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love Swissssssssssssssssssh lolololol

I'm wondering here what version you have all tried (swish)..max is quickly catching up with Flash:

Somethings you may not knw about Max:
Scripting
No coding required! All interactivity can be added through a simple menu interface.
Advanced scripting capabilities through SWiSHscript.
Script editor which allows advanced user to enter scripts directly.
Debugger that simplifies finding and fixing errors in your scripts.

Effects
Bundled with over 230 built-in effects.
Effects make animations with text, images, graphics and sound simple and quick to produce.
The ability to author and distribute your own effects.
All effects can be added to multiple objects at once.
Drawing
Advanced set of drawing tools provided including: Line, Pencil, Bezier, Text, Elipse/Circle, Rectangle/Square and AutoShapes.
Complex Shape editing options making it easy to modify your shapes Scale, Size, Rotation, Skew, Perspective, slice a section off your Shape or break it into pieces.
AutoShapes that make adding and editing complex shapes like 3D cubes a breeze.
Input and dynamic text makes adding input forms easy.
Guide, grid, snapping and alignment Options. more info ยป
Interface
A simple yet powerful interface means ANYONE can make stunning Flash animations in minutes.
Objects, frames and effects can all be added, modified or deleted directly from the timeline.
Managing movies, scenes and sprites made simple.
Import & Export
Import SWF movies produced in any other Flash application
Simply import sounds, graphics and text files.
SWiSHmax SWF movies can be imported into any other Flash application with ease.
Advanced compression features help keep your SWF file sizes small.
Import SWF movies produced in any other Flash application. SWiSHmax now supports more features of movies produced in Macromedia Flash including commonly used actions and Clipping (mask) layers.
Import Graphics, Sounds, Text & More

Simply import sounds, graphics and text files. SWiSHmax imports most any file type your likely to need including: txt, bmp, dib, gif, jpg, if, jpeg, png, wmf, emf, swf (both compressed and uncompressed), exe (Flash Projector), wav and mp3 files

You can easily export your SWF movies complete with HTML, AVI movies and Flash Projectors. SWiSHmax's SWF movies can be imported into any other Flash application with ease. SWISHmax also introduces a number of advanced compression features to help keep your SWF file sizes small.

Almost forgot the streaming sound capabilities too.

And if that does'nt make ya wanna jump right in the price is rather sweet too, $99 :wink:

:)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

suzie, since you've resurected this thread, and since you seem to WANT this conversation, I have to ask...

Do you work for Swish?!? :)

Also, are you aware of the Flash competitors that have come and gone over the years? Let's see Adobe, Microsoft, ThingMaker are all companies that come to mind.

Quote:
SWiSHmax SWF movies can be imported into any other Flash application with ease.

:shock:

Well, duh. It's making Flash, afterall. It's not like Swish spent years developing something unique. They're just taking advantage of someone else's hard work.

:P

It seems to me you were looking for this debate, so here it is.

;)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol...
i use flash ...
it does the jobs i need and i wouldn't say flash was hard to learn if you know where to go.
I haven't used swish. But with the way you people say that it is easy to make animations and simple effects then it must be pritty good.
I might get hold of it and see what it is capable of.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

my entire argument and the biggest complaint about swish I
have is all the things you love about it's ease of use. For the
web professional who wants to have complete and utter control
over my movies and flash work, I do not want the program
telling me how it goes. I want that decision, and this is why
swish is inferior to me. And you seem to think that it makes
swish superior.

I guess we have to agree to disagree, but my opinion is
definitely one of it's own. There was a swishmax rep here a
few weeks back who seemed to think the new swishmax
would rival flash...time will tell of course.

I'm not saying swish is a poison-product or any of that...not at all. I'm
simply saying that if you want experience and learn flash technology at
it's highest level, do not use swish. For some of the simpler, canned,
everybody-uses-them effects, it's great for doing something quickly.

All my more explained opinions are in this thread --
http://www.ozzu.com/flash-forum/swishmax-serious-competitor-for-flash-and-affordable-t1814.html
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Honest, no debate please !!

I just like the software, i started out with a free copy of the lite, this was in "web pages made easy" i like what i could achieve seeing as i am a dumbo at anything else.. :oops:

After that i moved up to Swish2, it was easy, it was cheap..i bought it.
The max is a different kettle of fish, its the scripts i can't handle, i'm ok with the timeline, adding effects making different kind of movies, nothing i can brag about..i bought the max, i go to all the Swish forums out there, been to most of them, i'm still learning.

I'm not a rep or nothing but promote the software where ever i go, funny you know, i put in google something or other and ended up here, must have put in Swish and the page was the debate you had earlier mentioned lol and was facinated enough to join up here.

Thats it, i can shut up about Swish if you like, i'll still come here.

I like flash too, but can't do it.
:D
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, don't shut up about it. You've got to expect someone like me to take you to task when you're pinging so hard about it.

;)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don't think your enthusiasm for swish is bad in any way, honest. and you're fresh ideas and conversation is what ozzu
needs. don't shut up about swish, it's what you like! and at
some point, someone is going to need your help with it. After
all, that's what ozzu is about anyway. ;)
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, no movies left as the comp crashed and could'nt get windows to load from saturday evening.. :evil: formatted!

Plenty in the Swish forums, but i have ordered an old basic machine just to run Swish on.

Need to pick up in the forums again anything i may have missed lolol

There is defo something that this machine and Swish does'nt like, take this morning, i wanted..needed the specs for the Swish for the machine i ordered, went to Swishzone, as i was leaving there to go somewhere else, it froze the mouse, just as the anmation was about to finish at Swishzone !!

Thats why i need a seperate machine, just to run Swish!

:(
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to my website, and then tell me if you think its FlashMX or SwishMAX :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

xBLEEDINGxMETALx wrote:
Go to my website, and then tell me if you think its FlashMX or SwishMAX :D

Excessive use of basic motion/text animations, I say swish....
  • diverdan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • diverdan
  • Loc: Alabama, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

same here - i say swish
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol yea, but its not bad for swishMAX, its also my first one...
  • puKKa
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've only used flash and I think its great at animating stuf and make sites that are interactive and cool in not to big sizes.

Havnt used swish so dont know about it, anyone got a good link about it?
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess u can try cyber-core.net, but thats not the best, I saw some other kick ass site that was swish, It was awsome, my site is swish MAX

-xBLEEDINGxMETALx
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's either really bad swish or really bad flash - but my $$$ is on really bad swish.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

well done xBLEEDINGxMETALx,
Proud of you, i'll put that on my board as a Swish site of excellence..
but go to http://www.swishtalk.com/index.php?s= reg, then put it in the appropriate forum, they will critique for you, also you will learn lots there, its one of the biggest Swish communities there is, maybe the biggest fulll stop.
suzie.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL, serious debate goin on in here. I have to agree with Unflux. But that is mostly because i only used swish a few times. I didnt give me control i wanted. I never really used swish except when i was just getting started in animation. Believe it or not, it didnt make much sense to me. I don't know it was like to simple or something (wtvr that means :P), Then I got MX and i made one simple page and the addiction was on. LOL. I wouldnt stop using MX for anything, except maybe an upgrade but its gotta be Macromedia Flash. I do have some friends who prefer swish and have done some really neat animations, so I guess its basically every man (or woman) for themselves on this one. :D:D
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

give over SharkShark,
Its too early to be laughed at :D
As you say each to their own, you have friends that do swish, well have you any sites for me to look at please...?
I came back in here the other day because a member did the first Swishmax site and it was very good, i like to give positive vibes to the new users of the Swish software!
Where is your first Flashmx website, did you let ozzuers look at that...?
Not a serious debate at all, just xBLEEDINGxMETALx first attempt at Swishmax.
And give xBLEEDINGxMETALx credit where its due, its my bet xBLEEDINGxMETALx has never been anywhere near Swish2 if thats the case then even more credit as far as i'm concerned, in the Swish forums they actually advise newbies to get familier with Swish2 first!
:P
suzie.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Suzie,

Don't laugh then! :lol:

Ill contact my friends later and find out what they have, I think they mostly do just animations, not websites, but i will check.

You dont want to see my first flash site. Trust me...Ah what the heck:
http://www.boldrhino.com/wcstudios/ :oops:
I made it when i was still on a (Heaven forgive me) 800x600 screen res. *shudders* lol.
And yes, XbleedingXmetalX has done a seriously fine job with swixhMax. I didnt mean to put his site down at all, I think swish is an excellent program for those who know how to use it.:D:D
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

sharkshark, hi,
Quote:
Don't laugh then!
lolololololol its afternoon now so i can!!
Quote:
I didnt mean to put his site down at all,
no you did'nt do that..or at least i don't think you would do that sharkshark..thats not what ozzu members do!
I look forward to any Swish sites you find for me..hurry up lololol
Hey sharkshark, thats a nice site wassa matter with you lolol i like flash just can't hack it..you did a nice job there, whats the blank large button for/do could'nt get nothing out of it, but the rest is very nice...nice pic as well!!
And whats up with 800x600 thats my screen size..?
suzie.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL cant please u no matter how hard I try huh Suzie? :P thanks for the nice words though :D, compare that to my new site and you'll see that I have improved somwhat. The big button was actually the background for an animated speaker i was trying to make. Didnt work out though. and as for 800x600 screen res, I havent used it for 2 years, it makes all the icons and stuff look to big now :P
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
LOL cant please u no matter how hard I try huh Suzie
sharkshark lol what did i say ....?
:oops:
-->laughs ed off at you<---i told you did'nt i, i liked your site bows to the guru lololol
And the link to the new flash site is Where sharkshark...?
suzie...waves byeeeeeeeeeee
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D:D

LOL nvm what you said.

Just click my sig pic and it will take you there.

*hmmm...I like that "take you there" part, maybe i should make my sig a magic carpet? :P* LOL

forgive me Im having a little 2 much fun right now I guess :D:D

Peace
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its weekend..fun is ok....sharkshark lololol
why you not out on the town anyway....? you no mates or what !!!!
Back to best flash or you'll get me get shot!!
suzie.
:)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 50 posts