Flash tab order

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm using Flash 8 AS2.

In building forms I typically use the accessibility panel to add my textfield instance names and their tab index. So, I have several textfields on the stage along with a couple of textfields in a movieclip.

How do I set the textfields in the movieclip to be recognized in the tab order? Right now they're just getting skipped over. The movieclip they're in is set, Make Object Accessible checked and Make Child Object Accessible is checked.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.brainbell.com/tutorials/Flas ... _Order.htm

you could do it with action script also.

more reading here
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not finding a solution. I've swapped the tabbing over to be handled by AS but it's doing the same thing.

Once I hit/tab_to the textfields that are in the movieclip, I can then only cycle through them. I need all the inputs to act as one.

I've actually added a listener to the last input field before the inputs within the movieclip to send the focus.

It uses

Selection.setFocus("phoneMC.phonetype1");

Once I'm in phoneMC I can't get back to the stage.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well since you can apply tabIndex to movie clips, have you tried adding a tabIndex to the movieclip where you want your focus to be? I don't know if that will work. It's been awhile since I've done anything with tabs in flash.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, same here. This problem seems all too familiar and I hate to start searching through all my years of work to find where I solved this.

I've set the MC as 8 and the combobox to 9 and the textfield that's inside it to 10, but that still didn't get my tabs to cycle through the whole movie.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check out this quick tute. I'm not 100% understanding exactly what you're after, but I'm thinking that steps two and three might give you an idea or two to play around with

http://sierakowski.eu/list-of-tips/55-s ... angle.html
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's it. I haven't tried the tutorial yet, but it looks (from her swf examples) to do exactly what I need.

I should get a chance to mess around with it this afternoon.

Thank you for your help.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I thought that was going to work but it did show me what's going wrong.

My movie is setup that the _root level has an emptyMC on it that loads another external swf. This external swf is my form that has the elements I need to tab through with some of those elements in movieclips.

So I have

_root.emptyMC.firstName.text
_root.emptyMC.lastName.text

Then I have

_root.emptyMC.phoneMC.phonetype1
_root.emptyMC.phoneMC.phone.text

When I test the movie, I tab fine. When I run the external swf in a browser (without loading into the emptyMC... i go to localhost/form.swf) everything scrolls fine. Only when I externally load my form.swf into another moviclip (emptyMC) makes my TAB sequence not work.

I was able to call

Selection.setFocus("phoneMC.phonetype1") and it will place focus but then I can only tab between the elements inside the phoneMC and can't get back to the firstname/lastname fields.

Let me know if you need more explanations.

I've tried different methods of loading my form.swf into emptyMC but nothings working. I've also tried different wmode with different browsers.

I don't know what else to try.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, there's obviously some problems with external swfs tabindex when loaded into movieclips.

I used loadMovieNum instead to load it directly into a level and that helped. I can at least continue tabbing through the rest of the inputfields. It's still not perfect cause once I cycle back around to the phoneMC it skips those again.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Disabled focusManager and I'm all fixed. I can now tab through elements in and out of movieclips.

added focusManager.enabled = false; on the _root swf and it's working 100%.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for detailing the progress and the solution. I've been away from OZZU for several days and didn't see your postings.
  • wsimpson
  • Born
  • Born
  • wsimpson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you! Your solution fixed my issue!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts