Flash Video Player Plugin folder issue

• Frankish
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Question for the ages...I got some FLV files, I'm trying to display them on my website, with the videos streaming directly from my website only.
So I intsall this Flash Video Player Plugin for WordPress. (http://www.mac-dev.net/blog/download-fl ... wordpress/)
I understand how the code works I have some good experience with a mp3 Flash player I created on my website...
SO here's the issue

1. Download the plugin archive file, unpack it and transfer the flash-video-player folder into your wp-contents/plugins folder.
2. Activate the Flash Video Plugin in your WordPress admin panel.
3. Add video to your posts using the following tag:

What is the wp-contents/plugins folder.
is it a folder you create with Flash ? I have little knowledge with Flash. I have Flash CS3 pro.
Can anybody tell me how to create a wp-contents/plugins folder ? And also how to activate it (number 2)?

Thank you! Thank you!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Frankish
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

anyone?...
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

wp-contents/plugins is a directory on your web server inside the wordpress install. The video files you want to play need to be placed in that directory on your web server.

That said your questions would probably be better answered on the plugin author's site or the wp forums.
  • Frankish
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
wp-contents/plugins is a directory on your web server inside the wordpress install. The video files you want to play need to be placed in that directory on your web server.

That said your questions would probably be better answered on the plugin author's site or the wp forums.

Thanks for the dime....So I created these 2 folders (wp-contents/plugins) on my website with all the .flv vids in it.

Althought I think it's wrong to give only 4 "simple steps" on such a complex process...That's why i came here. Whoever explained this needs to show clear example of codes or something ...With codes, it helps understand what folders are created, how the thing works a little better. At least for my little brain.
What does that mean "Activate the Flash Video Plugin in your WordPress admin panel." with no screenshot ??

And what code is this? [flashvideo filename=videos/my-video.flv /] I mean this is hard..any wrong link can mess up the thing. Is it suppose to look like this; http://www.mywebsite.com/folder/my-video.flv ?

What I really need is an embed code ...to display the player showing the .flv video.
Thank you
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

wp-contents/plugins should have existed on your webserver already. If you actually did what you said was step one, you should have copied the plugin into that directory already.

almost all wordpress plugins use the same few steps to install

1. download the plugin to your computer
2. unzip the plugin to a folder
3. copy new folder with plugin to your webserver in the wp-content/plugins directory
4. go to your website, login to wordpress and go to the plugins section.
5. find the new plugin you just uploaded and click activate, change any settings you need to change

wordpress really is its own system. If your going to use wordpress (which I have found to be very stable and powerful) you may want to go through the existing documentation http://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page

that will tell you how to activate plugins, create your own code, etc.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts