Flash video no show on web site. Why?

• voirlemonde
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Nepal

Post 3+ Months Ago

I converted my video with Riva to flv format (400 kb). I used Dreamweaver 8 to insert video into my web page and it created the .swf document that go with it. It tested it on my computer and everything worked just dandy. Loaded it all on my server and a white square appears where the video should be. I upload the same docs on my friend's server and it worked. Can it be that my server does not work with Flash? Can I do something to make it work?
Web page with video: http://www.voirlemonde.org/index2.html
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks.
  • heywazup99
  • heywazup99
  • Loc: Naperville, IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im not completely sure, it could be that the link to the video, maybe try getting rid of the underscore and the capital letters in the name of the video, however when I go to the video link, all I see is white, so it probably has something to do with the flash file and not the html, also every link besides the home and the links only have a rollover action on about the top 3-5 pixels
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The flv mime type has to be added to the webserver. If you don't manage your own server you'll need to check with your host and ask them to add it. That's probably why it works on your friend's but not on yours.
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

are you sure you actually have the .flv movies on your server? please link me to one of them to see it actually works.
I looked into the source of your webpage and the code which embeds the swf doesn't seem quite right:
Code: [ Select ]
<param name="FlashVars" value="&amp;MM_ComponentVersion=1&amp;skinName=Halo_Skin_2&amp;streamName=Video/remi2&amp;autoPlay=false&amp;autoRewind=false">
  • voirlemonde
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Nepal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there.
Thanks for all the reply. I didn't know what "mime type" was when I first read the response but with a quick look on Google, I got some nifty information on this. My huntch is that this is the problem, so I will follow-up with the server.
Re codes, I take no credit as this is the work of Dreamweaver. The many "&amp" seem odd I agree, and the fact that it does not explicitely state "Video/remi2.flv" for the video file as well but I did change it to test it, and it's still a no go.
If you have any other ideas before now and the time when the light comes on on this nugget of Flash trivia, let me know. All comments are appreciated.
Cheers.
  • bryantsinger
  • bryantsinger

Post 3+ Months Ago

"&amp; " is equal to "&", just like "&nbsp;" equals to space.

Did you upload the four files that dreamweaver generated? make sure that they should be in the same directory.
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought that &amp; is only for html display, but seems that flash knows how to parse it as a "&".
Well then, i suppose it's a problem with the path to the video, since i tried to download http://www.voirlemonde.org/Video/remi2.flv , but with no success.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know about Linux servers, but I do know the FLV mime type needs to be added to Windows IIS in order for it to recognize the file format. I assume it is the same with Linux. (Apache - etc).

I'm about 98% confident this is the issue.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts