FlashML Component Help

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone familiar with using this open source component for rendering HTML in Flash?
http://www.designrealm.co.uk/html/?p=5

I installed the component, and have been playing with the demo for a couple hours, and for the life of me, I can't even duplicate the demo, let alone create my own tables (which is why I installed this to begin with).

A tutorial would be all I'd need, but I can't even find that.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm I haven't used it but I think FlashML is a subset of the OSFlash Project
http://osflash.org/flashml I assume the OSFlash project might have at least something to look at...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
Hmm I haven't used it but I think FlashML is a subset of the OSFlash Project
http://osflash.org/flashml I assume the OSFlash project might have at least something to look at...

Been there done that. That's where I found it. No documentation. There isn't even a readme file included to tell you how to install the component. I knew how to do that, because I've installed other components before, but I swear, if you look at the demo, check the action script (there's only one frame in the demo so you can't miss it), and then try to duplicate the demo from a blank flash document, I just can't make it work.

I mean I realize that it's action script based, and understand the part about the external HTML docs, but I'm totally missing something. The help file is clear enough, but still it doesn't seem like everything is there.

And I searched search engines for two hours this afternoon trying to find any documentation on it

Basically I need to make a table. That's what it boils down to. I'd prefer to do it using xhtml like this component is supposed to, because it will be revised regularly and I don't want to have to recode the whole flash file everytime I have to edit it.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I downloaded the component. I can't install it because the computer I'm on right now is locked.

However, after opening the demo it appears that you need to drag an instance of the DRFML to the stage. The demo had an instance name of "myTable" and use the following code:
Code: [ Select ]
myTable.PageUrl = "pathtohtml.html";
    myTable.GeneratePage();
  1. myTable.PageUrl = "pathtohtml.html";
  2.     myTable.GeneratePage();

to provide a path and then actually render the page. I believe you also need to set the render by dragging an instance of DRBaintDeluxe to the stage this one was called "painterd" and then call that renderer
myTable.SetRenderer(_root.painterd);

Is that what you have?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, got it. What was throwing me was the DRFML. When I installed the component with my download I simply couldn't find DRFML. After a good nights sleep and rereading your post above this morning, I finally realized that it installed as FML 1.2 which I finally realized was DRFML.

Got it working. The code you posted above was what I was trying to do all day yesterday, but didn't have the FML 1.2 instance correct. Thanks for looking into it. It's for work and I needed to get it going this week.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Need just a bit more help. OK, I'm setting this up in a movie. The main timeline loads a movieclip called newsText which in turn loads a movie clip called content. The content movie clip was pre-existing and I'm changing the original content to this table. The table itself displays perfectly, so I know I did that part right. To do it, I used this code with the component

this._lockroot = true;
myTable.PageUrl = "safetyContent.htm";

myTable.GeneratePage();
myTable.SetRenderer(_root.painterd);
  1. this._lockroot = true;
  2. myTable.PageUrl = "safetyContent.htm";
  3.   myTable.GeneratePage();
  4. myTable.SetRenderer(_root.painterd);

If I comment out this._lockroot = true; the table will still display but most of the style goes away. With it included the table looks perfect.

So all well and good with that, but one minor but important glitch. The text won't display! I did this first in a standalone movie and it's working perfectly, text and all, but when I include it in my movie clip it won't display any text. (just using standard Arial and Georgia fonts). I'm at a loss why the HTML will generate the table but not display the text. The only difference between the two is the one I need working is inside a movie clip, where the one that works is in it's own movie on a root timeline.

Any thoughts?

//I'm thinking I might have to alter the movie clip properties and export for actionscript, but not sure what to put for the AS 2.0 class (if anything)
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

so the table displays in either case (loaded movie, stand alone) but the text (html text I assume) only displays in the stand alone instance?

Without knowing a whole lot about how this thing renders html are you using css with the html? Try just using <p>Text to display</p> to see if that makes a difference. Otherwise it sounds like a path issue since thats almost always my problem when a loaded clip won't do something that works fine when it isn't loaded into something else.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, the thing is, it's reading the structure of the HTML just fine in both cases. I'm using Flash 8 Pro. Both are pulling from the same HTML file. Both are being published with the same settings. Flash 8 and AS 2. The complete table structure (and the table style works fine) displays identical on both. The only difference is the working one is not part of a movie clip where the one not displaying text is.

Here's the working one:
http://www.alaron-nuclear.com/devsite/tables/test4.html

Here's the one not displaying text:
http://www.alaron-nuclear.com/devsite/t ... fetyb.html

On the second one, if you scroll down to the last two tables, you can even see in the last two table rows the height of the cell expanded to compensate for the wrap on the third line of text. So it knows the text is there. It just won't show it.

Here's the fla's if you want to take a peek
http://www.alaron-nuclear.com/devsite/tables/test4.fla
http://www.alaron-nuclear.com/devsite/t ... afetyb.fla

The HTML component is in the "content" movie clip which is loaded in the newsText movie clip which is loaded in scrollArea.

(there's a couple pixel fonts in the second one you probably will have to use the default substitute for (but the HTML is just Arial)

Here's the HTML file
http://www.alaron-nuclear.com/devsite/t ... ontent.htm
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Crap. I figured out what the problem is. the newsText clip uses a mask for the scrolling, and unfortunately the content clip is under the mask. If I remove the mask the text displays just fine but it breaks the scroll (and in essence the page).

Crap crap crap! Solve one problem to create another one *lol. Dang, I need the mask for the scroll. Now what do I do *grrrrrrrrrrrrr

where's lostinbeta and UNFLUX when you need them! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! btw graphixboy, don't take that personal. They are just the ones that created the original file I'm editing.

//as best I can tell I probably need to embed the fonts somehow, but in this case I'm clueless how. If it was a dynamic text box under a mask it would be easy.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts