Flex/PHP Performance/Server Load

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,
got a question/discussion regarding server load and application performance. I have recently gotten heavily into RIA development and online applications. As I am nearing the end of the application and getting close to release, I have a question about potential load and performance issues.

My application performs all of its communication with a mysql database using php. Flex makes calls to PHP and it prints XML responses which flex loads and uses when needed. This means that potentially a single use could be pulling multiple requests for XML files as they are using the application. I am just curious as to how this differs from standard web development and inclusion of PHP files/includes and the rendering of HTML pages. I would presume that the flex-php-mysql method would be quicker, as the main presentation is loaded as part of a master SWF file on the client machine and data is sent for and requested when needed, containing 200-300 byte requests with small pieces of XML data. This cuts out the html/images etc loaded as part of a more traditional website.

Initial load would be slow, but caching of the main application after first use, then continual XML requests inside the application would keep the data current.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks all
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as i worked with php frameworks, the approach is quite the same.
You have a main file, in which you include the modules required for user requested action, get info from database and then render it on front.
Caching the info which you receive from database is also a good idea, but i would cache only the info which i suppose will be most requested; you make the caching on the php side.
check this tutorial for no. 22. Cache Database-Driven Pages and 23. Use a Caching System
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I have used various techniques before. What I mean is, how different is the comparison between a Flex/PHP application and a standard php/html.

as php/html would be single page loads, requesting multiple files... but then it would land static (unless ajax driven)

whereas flex would be requesting PHP files asynchronously possibly dozens of times dependant on user interaction. Would this cause more/less in terms of performance?
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

In this case, you have the advantage of asynchronous requests which is faster (threads are usually faster than linear programming :D ), but on the other hand the database server will have to handle more requests at the same time than a common php/html page.
So the performance is directly related to the database requests (how optimized they are) and to the database server (how powerful it is). The more complex requests you have, the lower the performance. If you have simple request though, then it should be faster.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts