Framerate / smoothness of animation

• Rasper
  • Rasper

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everybody!

From my postcount you'll probably notic that I'm new to the forum...
To introduce myself: I'm 21, from Belgium, and interested in Flash...
For now, you'll just have to settle with that :wink:

Now for the reason of me joining the forum, I have a question/problem:
I'm making/finishing a menu I'm working on, but I'm having some trouble with the smoothness of the animation.
I already know that the standalone flashplayer has a higher framerate than say a browser like IE ... but how can you succesfully create smooth animations like a professional if you can't even rely on the preview you see when you ctrl + enter in flash :x

I notice that the motion of the menu sliding in and out is faster (and smoother) when I preview in flash, than it is in a browser window.

I already use setInterval, and almost no timeline-animation, but the motion is different/faster/smoother on a AMD 2600+ than it is on a PII 300. Is there anyway to solve this problem?

I was thinking about detecting the ACTUAL framerate of the movie, at that time, and adjusting the speed of the motion according to that framerate. ... But I can't seem to figure out how you can detect the ACTION framerate.

You can check out the actual animation here: http://users.pandora.be/rtaw/menu.html

Oh, framerate is set to 24fps

I'll also enclose the code, reliable for the sliding of the menu:
Myself wrote:
function verplaatsKnoppen(){
if (_root.menu.menu_kader.kader_onderrand._y > 25) {
for(i = 0; i < 5; i ++){
locatie = "menu";
plaats = _root[locatie];
knop = "mnu_button" + (i + 1);
plaats[knop]._y = plaats[knop]._y - 8;
updateAfterEvent();
trace(_root.menu.menu_kader.kader_onderrand._y);
}
_root.menu.menu_kader.kader_onderrand._y = _root.menu.menu_kader.kader_onderrand._y - 8;
_root.menu.menu_kader.kadermask._y = _root.menu.menu_kader.kadermask._y - 8;
updateAfterEvent();
} else {
clearInterval(intervalID);
_root.menu.gotoAndPlay(2);
}
updateAfterEvent();
}

Hopefully you'll be able to help me out a bit, so I'll maybe stick around here for a while. :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Rasper
  • Rasper

Post 3+ Months Ago

After looking around the internet some more, I found something that might help me... or push me in the right direction towards optimizing my movie.

http://www.moock.org/webdesign/flash/ac ... eedometer/

Thanks for reading anyway
  • intrepid design
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've run into this problem too. it drives me crazy. i will go and visit family back home and show them my new work and i have to make excuses on why its running so slow. So im guessing by that article, nothing with help unless everyone is running on higher end computers. what a drag.
  • Rasper
  • Rasper

Post 3+ Months Ago

intrepid design wrote:
I've run into this problem too. it drives me crazy. i will go and visit family back home and show them my new work and i have to make excuses on why its running so slow. So im guessing by that article, nothing with help unless everyone is running on higher end computers. what a drag.

Yeah I can't believe it either.
I even used actionscript & setInterval instead of timeline animations, to make it run more smoothly and faster.... But it doesn't really seem to pay off.

I thought setInterval was meant to work based on time, instead of the framerate??? Than why is the speed different in the Standalone Player/ IE / Mozilla / slower computer?

Also, I checked the actual fps on a Celeron 300Mhz and it's still an average of 21fps, but the animation is still slower :puppydogeyes:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

A slow computer is a slow computer, you have to decide how slow you want to provide for & design from there.
It's like trying to get old people to drive faster, it just isn't going to happen. :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts