Help with scrolling text box when mouse over.

• CStrauss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: St. Louis MO. USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I created a text box and made a movie clip button for scrolling up and scrolling down. How I want this to work is when you mouse over one the buttons if it can (meaning your not at the top of the text or bottom) it will scroll up or down at a set speed. Anyone have a suggestion how to do this?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

what version of flash and action script are you using? If I recall you can't do this with AS2 but can with AS3
  • CStrauss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh sorry trying to do this with AS3 using Flash cs3
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You want something similar to this, except on mouseOver instead of onClick? http://www.alaron-nuclear.com/alaronMap3-e.html
  • CStrauss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah pretty much like that except I basically made my own buttons that when you mouse over it scrolls it up and down. kind of similar to those image scrollers where you mouse over the left side and it slides it to the left and same for right excecpt its going up and down.

I was working on some code for it and got it to move up and down slowly but it was like 1 line at a time and I want to continuously scroll until your roll out off the button. What really sucks I did something caused an infinate loop area and crashed my program >.< and broke the first rule. Save Before Testing I forgot to save >.<

So I'm starting from scratch this time I added a mask and made = to the text box. Just having problems figuring out the code to scroll up and down smoothly and not to slow.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

easing
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry about that vague generic answer. Had to look up where I found that scroll class

http://code.google.com/p/tweener/

That should help a lot.

If you download the entire caurina class you should be able to accomplish what you want. You seem to know what to do, so I'll let you have at it. That class is how I achieved the smooth scroll. Only difference is you want to do it onMouseOver
  • CStrauss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I have that tween I will give it a go. I did actually find an example of it on this site.

ravenheart . com

This is pretty much what Im trying to do I guess whats throwing me is if I need to set a limit for when it reaches the bottom or top, and if I should put my scrolling function in an onEnterFrame event another concept I haven't used much.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts