How can I draw people in Flash?

• bgraybr
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bgraybr

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have almost no talent drawing in real life.
When I got flash the tools helped a lot and my drawings in there were better than in real life, but for anything complicated I had to trace. Tracing makes me feel like I'm cheating.

So anyways, I've been trying to draw semi-realistic people for a flash, but the best I can manage is madness guys (http://www.krinkels.net), and that's not the look I want.

Do you have any advice on how to draw people, besides just practicing? (I haven't gotten much better after a lot of practicing and drawing tutorials)

The style I want is simple but realistic-looking people, if you get what I mean.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Drawing is first and foremost based on the way your brain understands the world around it. Regardless of the tool, your still going to have to practice and practice a lot to get better. I remember one of my drawing classes in college required 50 sketches per day for the entire semester. This is one of those places where practice does actually make perfect.

Second if you want to draw people you need to study anatomy. Specifically study proportions (nose is at half the height of the head, eyes are half the distance from the nose to the top of the head, etc) Understanding proportion is the biggest step toward realistic drawing.

bgraybr wrote:
Tracing makes me feel like I'm cheating.

Almost every good illustrator I know can draw much better with a pen and paper and frequently trace things as a basis for their work. Its not cheating.
  • bgraybr
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bgraybr

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
Almost every good illustrator I know can draw much better with a pen and paper and frequently trace things as a basis for their work. Its not cheating.

I guess I'll just have to keep trying, when I said tracing feels like cheating I meant tracing photos and not my own drawings.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts