How to go from one flash movie to another smoothly?

• monie
  • Born
  • Born
  • monie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am creating a big Falsh project that is split between a few .swfs. When I link from one swf to another for a split second it flashes off then plays the next one. Is there any way to make the link seemless.

thanks
Monica

Okay so to better explain: I have this flash movie that is blue. At the end of the movie I want it to go to and play another blue movie. (The 2nd blue movie will not be playing inside the first one). On the last frame of the first movie I have this action script
Code: [ Select ]
loadMovieNum("custom.swf", 0);
For a second it flashes white before it loads and plays custom.swf (the 2nd blue movie). Thanks
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not to sure what your asking for but I've done a {loadMovie} in my site... dont know if that's what you want it to do... :?: or do you want it to run as a slide show :?: If you could show me an example or give a better example I could further explain a response....

Later SycomCOmp
  • solaris
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe your loading your movie too early, check youjr timeline and excess keyframes to make sure you have stuck something in there. never seen flash mx "flash" before :)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

what the problem is, is that the new swf isn't loaded before you call on
it. By default, flash uses a white bg for loading new movies - which is
what you are seeing.

one small workaround you can try is to set the swf's default bg color
within the html tag itself.

For the object tag:
<param name="bgcolor" value="#333333">

For the embed tag:
bgcolor="#333333

just slip those in and it should help.

Here's a full example of how it should look:
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
 codebase="http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=4,0,0,0"
 id="bigwebmaster_sign" width="150" height="80">
 <param name="movie" value="bigwebmaster-sign.swf">
 <param name="quality" value="high">
 <param name="menu" value="false">
 [color=red]<param name="bgcolor" value="#333333">[/color]
 <embed name="bigwebmaster_sign" src="bigwebmaster-sign.swf" quality="high" [color=red]bgcolor="#333333"[/color] menu="false"
  width="150" height="80"
  type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
  pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash">
 </embed>
</object>
  1. <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
  2.  codebase="http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=4,0,0,0"
  3.  id="bigwebmaster_sign" width="150" height="80">
  4.  <param name="movie" value="bigwebmaster-sign.swf">
  5.  <param name="quality" value="high">
  6.  <param name="menu" value="false">
  7.  [color=red]<param name="bgcolor" value="#333333">[/color]
  8.  <embed name="bigwebmaster_sign" src="bigwebmaster-sign.swf" quality="high" [color=red]bgcolor="#333333"[/color] menu="false"
  9.   width="150" height="80"
  10.   type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
  11.   pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash">
  12.  </embed>
  13. </object>

However --
I would ask this, why is it you have it seperated into many swf's and not
using seperate mc's (movieClip) within the original swf? This would allow
you to preload the entire movie at one time, and produde the seemless
transition you want.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

monie wrote:
Okay so to better explain: I have this flash movie that is blue. At the end of the movie I want it to go to and play another blue movie. (The 2nd blue movie will not be playing inside the first one). On the last frame of the first movie I have this action script
loadMovieNum("custom.swf", 0);
For a second it flashes white before it loads and plays custom.swf (the 2nd blue movie). Thanks

If you are using loadMovieNum then your 2nd blue movie is indeed playing inside the first one since loadMovieNum loads a movie into a level of the current movie playing.

But the flashing part is confusing. Because even using loadMovieNum if the movie hasn't loaded then it will be transparent until it does load (since flash can't show something it hasn't fully loaded), so no flashing should occur, but rather, a delay between the end of the first and the start of the second.

So as solaris said, check for any excess frames that could be causing this flash.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

why is it that i think you're right, and i'm not :oops:
  • solaris
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehehe, to backup my theory on the excess frames, if your background movie color is white, this may be one of the reasons u see a flash. Unflux answered one of my own questions on how I would use transitions to load movie swfs, I see this as maybe being extremely difficult :)

Hope we helped you man ;)
  • bhandari2000
  • Born
  • Born
  • bhandari2000

Post 3+ Months Ago

just copy the first frame of your second movie and paste in the last frame of your first movie to avoid the jerk.........
  • tribel
  • tribel

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey,

what did you do to help this problem. i have exactly the same problem and dont know what to do about it. thanks.
  • ToshTrent
  • ToshTrent

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same problem here. It's not really a "flash" it's where the first movie is replaced by another on the same level, I guess this is just due to the unloading of the original first, best way arround is to have the new movie loaded to the level above (_level2) then when _level2 hits the first keyframe action the unload (_level1) event. This should make it seem "Seamless"

loadMovieNum("newmovie.swf", 2);
unloadMovieNum(_level1)
  1. loadMovieNum("newmovie.swf", 2);
  2. unloadMovieNum(_level1)

That should do the trick, let us know how you got on,

Cheers
Tosh
  • tribel
  • tribel

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks, it helped me a bit on the way. now, my background stays which is great but the content on each page is still flashing. please have a look at http://www.annatribelhorn.net. can't find any help for this on the net, so there must be some way out of it! is loadMovie a script that people dont use? any tips would be great.
  • ToshTrent
  • ToshTrent

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
thanks, it helped me a bit on the way. now, my background stays which is great but the content on each page is still flashing. please have a look at http://www.annatribelhorn.net. can't find any help for this on the net, so there must be some way out of it! is loadMovie a script that people dont use? any tips would be great.

I like the style of your site. I see where the problem seems to be occuring, how many kilobytes is the entire site (all the *swfs together)?

I was thinking, instead of having lots of different flash movies for your siie, have one which has all the menu options and the background, then have a holding frame which you load a jpg image into when an option is selected.

I can pop an example together for you if you would like.

Cheers
Tosh
  • tribel
  • tribel

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm just creating a new post to see what you wrote, now it's all behind buttons and stuff.
  • tribel
  • tribel

Post 3+ Months Ago

all the swf's makes up a total of 700 KB. i dont know if i should count the pdf which is an additional 260 KB. could that be the problem that it is too big? i'm using gif for the images since the type comes out better that way.

i would definitely like you to pop an example, that would be very cool.
  • ToshTrent
  • ToshTrent

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, i've popped together a very simple example for you, it has been winzipped with two example images.

I would recommend when publishing your website that you protect the content by selecting "Protect from Import" in the publish swf settings. This will assist in theft of your site design and images as easily. (Like I did for your example).

As i've just imported your site, send me your email address and i'll send you the file direct, don't want it thieved by anyone else... 8)

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions if needed.
  • Ray2004
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Kuwait

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just wanna say that this foum is great.. U cannot imagine how much the loadMovieNum("custom.swf", 0); thing has helped me.. Thanks y'all

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts