How to show buffer progress on scrubline of FLVPLayback?

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK we've all seen the scrubline on YouTube, Google and other sites where you can see on the scrubline the progress of the buffer as well as the playhead position.

Anyone have any clues how to do this? Obviously this is not a feature apparently available with the FLVPlayback component itself.

Just go here and play any video to see what I mean. http://video.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wv Any video shows the buffer progress as it progresses to download. It's obvious from the getgo that's a customized FLV player, but I'm having a hard time digging up the code to do it.

I want something as pretty and slick as the skins the FLVPlayback component has like this, but I have no idea how to even edit those skins since they are already compiled.
http://www.alaron-nuclear.com/devsite/f ... vtime.html
  • CStrauss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: St. Louis MO. USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I purchased this tutorial a while back. http://www.cartoonsmart.com/XML_and_MP3_player.html. Its for how to make an MP3 player but it has that thing your looking for on the scrub bar and talks about how to do it.

So if you have the means you can get the tutorial watch it and see how he does it and apply it to your flv movie. If I remember correctly it entails animating a movie clip on top of the scrubber setting the x position to only go so far left and so far right based on the time of the playhead time. and it moves across.

Sorry if thats not to clear its been awhile since I looked at that tutorial but none the less its a very good tutorial and worth the 15 bucks.

Hope that helps
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you using the FlvPlayBack Component or a netstream object? (AS2 or AS3?)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

FLVPlayback, previously AS2 but going forward AS3. I was thinking about creating my own though for the exercise using netstream. I'll look into that book. I did just purchase a couple of basic through advanced AS3 books and video tutes, but haven't had a chance to look at the advanced content yet. Hopefully it will have something related too.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

gotoAndlearn.com has a multi-part video tutorial using the netstream component and I know it covers the scrubber/buffer concepts.

I've never tried modifying the component to heavily but I think both the buffer and scrub components where built in methods. In your flash help select "Actionscript 3.0 components" in the drop down menu and then search for "flvplayback" you'll get all the built in methods for that component.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

gottcha. Thanks. Actually funny. I often forget the help function is there, and really think it's quite good too *lol @ myself.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah Flash has one of the best helps of any app I've ever seen. Although I suppose it has a lot to do with it being a proprietary language.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts