Will HTML5 replace Flash?

• sterweber

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you think HTML 5 will soon replace most content created in Flash? It does have some advantages like indexable by search engines and no need for a browser with a plugin (that wants to upgrade every few months).
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, that could happen, for the video content and maybe some common galleries, but for games and other graphic effects, i doubt it.
I wonder now why Microsoft didn't focus more on advertising Silver Light, could've been a potential rival for flash in future editions. But maybe they wait for exactly that ... future editions :D
  • stev_ro
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

Search engines can crawl flash content also. Not as good as they would crawl an html page but still it's an improvement.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think HTML5 will replace a lot of plugins. Browser makers (with the exception of Microsoft) wanting to get out from under the thumb of that Eolas "click to activate" patent is probably one good reason.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually really enjoy flash programming. There's good documentation and good communities like Ozzu for help. While I'm still pretty siked about HTML5, it's not going to keep me from designing some things with Flash. There's still plenty of exceptional sites that when someone sees they say, "Whoa, I want something like that" and HTML5 just isn't going to mimic it. However, It's going to be interesting to see how the mobile market pans out for Adobe, though, Droid is supporting Flash I do believe.

Is javascript going anywhere? Then, Flash isn't going anywhere. It does a whole lot more than the few new plugins HTML5 is offering.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Well, that could happen, for the video content and maybe some common galleries, but for games and other graphic effects, i doubt it.

I'm willing to bet that someone will create some sort of extensive wysiwyg application that will allow you to do some pretty advanced and very flash-like canvas applications. I give it a few years before this application is created. I'm guessing flash will have it's place for quite some time, but more and more web developers will begin using canvas in lieu of flash when it's applicable.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

devilwood wrote:
Is javascript going anywhere? Then, Flash isn't going anywhere. It does a whole lot more than the few new plugins HTML5 is offering.

How does Javascript come to play here? Javascript and HTML are two different animals.

Javascript is like HTML in the way that it isn't a plugin, but built into the web browser so none of that annoying "click to activate" or that bar "Missing plugins detected".

HTML 5 would be able to provide better alternatives to a lot of things that is usually done with Flash.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

Yeah, but the only things people actually use anymore are the multi-media elements HTML5 is working to replace.

I see more people moving to the likes of jQuery for animation than to Flash. For starters. Flashes XML/loadVars is pretty much toast in favor of XMLHTTPRequest and JSON. File uploads, as luck would have it are getting attention from the likes of Google's Chrome lately. Working with binary data, is another thing Chrome addressed redently, except unlike Flash Chrome's binary data methods can work with files the user has selected without needing to upload them.

Flash did a great job in helping to inspire the web into getting where it is today, but with browsers starting to implement native versions of the functionality it provides cross-platform, it's going to end up going the route of Microsoft's Active-X controls from the 90s. Especially when you consider Apple isn't budging for Flash on the iOS.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Click to activates are annoying but I think there are ways around that for flash content by using javascript to write the embed src. Also, I bet there are ways to jack the focus of the browser and give it to flash content on the page on page load.

I only mentioned javascript because actionscript is so similar and both are client-side, but I agree multi-media usage is primarily what flash is used for.

I did like the compression of swf files and I could organize my code in flash to be much cleaner than javascript or any AJAX model I've built.
  • flashfango

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with you! I think it is possible that HTML 5 will soon replace most Flash!
  • dann123
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dann123

Post 3+ Months Ago

stev_ro wrote:
Search engines can crawl flash content also. Not as good as they would crawl an html page but still it's an improvement.

Generally standard search engine crawler doesn't crawl flash content :)
Although I believe HTML5 reduce the popularity of flash..
  • egdesign
  • Born
  • Born
  • egdesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe html5 will replace flash on most content, specially with web videos.
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone!

I don't think HTML5 will, at least immediately, remove Flash as the leading multimedia player on internet. Flash has deep roots in many websites and replacing them with HTML5 pages will surely take some time. I have not seen but heard myself that HTML5 is searchable on web and has some other benefits too.

Personally I would prefer HTML5 over cumbersome loading and installing of big Flash plugins. I use Firefox and Chrome (mostly Chrome) for internet browsing. Plugins are of course not preferable..
:hmm:
  • christinaray123
  • Born
  • Born
  • christinaray123

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
That could happen as HTML 5 introduces support for media tags that enable embedding audio and video with almost all of the benefits of Flash video.
Regards,
Christina
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, honestly if i can install a browser and can immediately start browsing 3d, etc. animations without installing a single plugin then i'd say HTML5 is a "dream come true".

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts