• Student
  • Student
  • Tokunbo
  • Loc: Applications Developer

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi,

Following an online tutorial, I did this:
1) layer labelled TEXT is masked over Layer labelled PICTURE
2) PICTURE layer has motion tween (where picture moves from left to right of screen)

Result:
- the desired effect is achieved where the typed text is displayed while the inserted picture/image moves behind the typed text from left to right, with the picture part displayed that is within the text outline.

What I want to do is the reverse of the above:
so I have the layer labelled PICTURE masking the layer named TEXT, however, I do not get my expected result: a image displayed, while a text outline moves through it (left to right).

why am I not getting this result. Cant an imported image be a mask over a text. Note: the image is broken apart.

TK
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well there's a simple answer and a complex one. The simple answer is that: NO a photo cannot be a mask except for the shape of its outer boundary. If thats all you need you can stop reading :-)

The complex answer is the explanation of how a mask actually works in flash. Basically a mask is a little bit backward from what you might expect. Imagine that you have a billboard with a brick wall in front of it. The only way you can see the billboard through the wall is if you cut a hole in the wall. If you move the billboard behind the wall your point of view will also change. Likewise if you move the wall and leave the billboard stationary your viewpoint will change.

In Flash the layer below a mask is the billboard while the mask layer itself is the brick wall. Without a "window" in the mask layer everything behind that "wall" will be invisible. Flash considers anything you draw or place on the mask layer to be a window in the wall. However, its important to note that only the alpha of the "window" matters to flash. In other words any thing that is not transparent (any color in an image, text, movieclip, etc) is cut out of the masking wall.

Your picture won't work as a mask because all the pixels of the image are opaque (even if they are white on a white background). Flash is assuming that the entire area of your picture is a hole cut in the mask layer. If the hole is bigger than your stage you will see everything through it and you will get the appearance of the mask not existing.

If you were to import an image with transparency (gif/png/etc) into flash and use that image as a mask only the opaque areas would cut through leaving some masked areas and some transparent where your background would show through.
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

ooooohh, what a detailed description, but a good one anyway :D
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are many times when a picture really would be worth a thousand words :-) Flash + Masks seems to be one of them...
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can always link a picture :D
  • Tokunbo
  • Student
  • Student
  • Tokunbo
  • Loc: Applications Developer

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks graphixboy for the thorough explanation. Its clearer now.

I had been thinking the other way around.....that once an image/text is made a mask, it becomes transparent, and that whatever is placed behind it would actually/could actually create the "hole" in it(the mask).

you're right that "Flash is assuming that the entire area of your picture is a hole cut in the mask layer." and since the hole is bigger than my stage......
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

then it becomes a black hole ...
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh True but then I'd have to think to make the picture :-)
  • stblink
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • stblink

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've tried using png images with transparency as masks and always assumes the out boundery of the image itself, it doesn't recognize the alpha even with bitmapcaching. So there isn't other way other then Break Apart the bitmap and start cutting the unwanted pixels (or design a shape exactly the same) ?
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

uhmmm ... nope. But i always chose the shape part, it's easy to draw it with the pen tool and it doesn't necessarily have to be perfect :D
  • stblink
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • stblink

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well yes, i agree with you concerning the shape part. :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts