Instance name help!

• ozzu12254
  • ozzu12254

Post 3+ Months Ago

what is the reason that flash gives my movie the name 'instance1' instead of the instance name i gave it?

i want to do this.balkje.gotoAndPlay(30) but balkje is "instance1" and thats not verry usefull.

thx
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You diddn't actually give it an instanceName, if it shows up as instance1 when you test movie then you named it when you converted it to a symbol or inserted a new symbol.

Click on the movieClip in question on the stage and make sure your properties panel is open.
In the properties panel in the bottom left corner where the little gear picture and the boxes for X,Y,Width,Height are there is another box that should say "Instance Name", that is where you give instanceNames to use with Actionscript :D
  • Adde
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Adde

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read the instance name tutorial on a site and i folllowed the instructions but couldnt understand all... It said that i'd do a small movie clip and make its instance name to Joey and then on their site they made it say also if you clicked on the movie clip(they sure did something more too that they didnt say) that it would say its name(Joey in this case) the site was

http://www.actionscripts.org/tutorials/ ... ndex.shtml

help me please...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

//Merged

Many people get confused with instance names in Flash, this is becouse flash requires you to actually name it twice. (or more if you use the same movieclip many times)

When you create a new symbol the name you put in at that dialog is for the library. I think of it as the movieclip name. When you place a symbol from the library onto the stage then it's known as an instance of the movieclip, hence the instance names.

Once an instance of a movieclip is placed on the stage it needs a unique name for when there are duplicates of that movieclip.

To give each movieclip that is placed on the stage an instance name click the instance that you wish to name first to give it focus. Now if the properties panel isn't allready open press CTRL+F3 to bring it up.

In the bottom left corner you should see a little picture of a gear with X, Y, Width, Height, a dropdown box, and a textbox that says "Instance Name" (picture of it in Adde's link), any movieclip placed on the stage needs to be givin an instance name in this area (where it says instance name) to use it with actionscript.

Think about it, if you diddn't give a new name to each instance of the same movieclip on the stage how would actionscript know which "joey" you were talking about ? :D
  • Adde
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Adde

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes... I know that... i did that... but... i mean... how shall i do so i can click on the instance and then the name appears; how?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adde, Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Continue on with the tutorials, the next topics get into targeting movieclips :wink:

The author is assuming everyone works from the FLA that they provide as an example.
  • Adde
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Adde

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do you create a movie clip in a movie clip... the site where it says i have to do that is: http://www.actionscripts.org/tutorials/ ... ndex.shtml

Thank you!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts