intro

• Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys, my first real flash project, so take it easy on me. Smile ok, http://www.thesoccermall.net/intro/intro.html is the intro. at the end where i have the buttons, Enter Site and Replay Intro, i need to know how to link thoes to the webpages. Also tell me what you think of the intro.

poly
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Natal
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Natal
  • Loc: Transylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
Thelink is not working
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah... can't see whatever you're trying to show us...
but if what you're asking is simply how to link to another webpage from a flash button, just put this code on the button:
Code: [ Select ]
on(release){getURL("http://www.thesoccermall.net/whatever.html")};

does that help?

peace,
puck
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

It should, two things, can you explain that code to me, and the button is a two state button, does this matter? Oh, and it will take a while to load, its 2 megs, and i havent done a preloader yet.

poly
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

oops, sry, link is http://www.thesoccermall.net/intro/intro.htm not http://www.thesoccermall.net/intro/intro.html should work now.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, when i try to add an action to it, it tells me "Current selection cannot have actions applied to it." What am i doing wrong?
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, let's see... it looks as if you're not actually applying the action to the button.

it doesn't matter that it's a two state button because you aren't going to apply that script to a STATE of the button... you are going to apply it to the button.

in other words, you've got your button on the stage somewhere.
select it with the mouse.
then, in the actions panel, but the script i wrote out for you (With the proper url substituted for whatever.html)
don't apply those actions to one of the states of the button (because that's just a graphic, not a button)... make sure you select the button itself to apply to action to.

cool?

also, that intro is mad bulky... look into a preloader and/or externally loading the sound and/or severely compressing those images... they're not very big, so it shouldn't be so heavy...
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

the size alone makes me not go look at it. 2mb?? I know full 3d and video intros that are not even that large. You should take some time to learn some optimization within flash to get that closer to 500kb or less.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Roarmeow, i selected the button, and used the code you gave me, but it isnt working. It is giving me errors, here is a screen of it http://www.thesoccermall.net/intro/screen.gif let me know if you want me to pm you where to dl the .fla also what did you think of the flash intro? decent for a first timmer?

thanks for your help
poly
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

make sure it's the button MC you have selected, not the layer itself. Clear any actions from that layer, and select the button to highlight it, then add it to the actions panel. that's all you should need to do here. :)
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unless i am missunderstanding you that is what i am doing. Here is a screenshot of what i am doing. http://www.thesoccermall.net/intro/screen2.gif

poly
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

your adding the code to the frame, select the button, then add the code
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

can you explain how to do this a little further? Sorry about being such a noob.

poly
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

you're selecting a frame, then putting in the action. forget your timeline for a second, and just go highlight/select your button MC. that's all you need to do, THEN put in that code in the actions panel.

you are putting the code on the timeline, that's not where it needs to be. hence the error. ;)
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry, i must be completely missing the point here or something, because i am still not understanding. If i send the .fla to somebody can you check it out and and change it and send it back to me so i can see what your doing?
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

post it, i'll take a look
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

just took another look at your screenshot...
try this:
Code: [ Select ]
on(release){getURL("http://www.thesoccermall.net");}

it was my bad... the syntax was wrong...
the semicolon ";" needed to be before the "}" not after it...

you see that little check symbol above the actionscript area? the green one? that'll check the syntax of your AS and tell you what's wrong...

sorry about the typo...

peace,
puck
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

works perfect dude! Thanks so much.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, new problem, i didnt do a preloader when i started this, can i still add one now that i am done? If so how?

poly
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

for sure...
go to http://www.flashkit.com
do a tutorial search for preloader...
find one you like... follow the yellow brick road...

if you need to, make space at the beginning, otherwise i would suggest using a preloader that loads from an earlier scene... okay?

okay.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

could you explain real quick how to add it to the beginning. I can already make the preloader, but i am having trouble adding it to the beginning.(because of all of the layers involved.)
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay...
select the first frame in all the layers...
create a new frame (f5 or whatever)... this way each of the layers in the first frame have a new frame pushing everything forward.
now, remove any tweens that you've got that run through that first and second frame.
select all the layers in the second frame.
create a new keyframe for all the layers there.
now, restore each tween that you just removed, starting at the second frame (as opposed to the first)...
now, the second frame is the first frame...
next, remove all keyframes from the first frame by selecting all the layers in the first frame and hitting shift+f6 or selecting 'remove keyframes' from the menus on top...
now, the first frame should be blank on all layers and the second frame should be what the first frame used to be...

now, you can just extend out that blankness by selecting all the layers in the first frame and adding blank frames (f5) to your heart's content.

let us know if this works,
puck
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry for the late reply. glad to see you got it sorted. I can't believe I didn't see that. Nice catch roar.

as for a preloader, I would highly recommend going though this tutorial, and then use it in everything you do for flash:

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/perc ... loader.htm

it will explain everything to you in plain english, and the coding is as solid as it gets (it was written by one of my partners actually).
  • billielith
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seems like this method doesn't work with ActionScript 3.0. I had the same problem as "poly", and when I checked on Adobe's website, I found that the coding (for actions on buttons) had to be done a whole different way than what you people suggest here.

I have Flash CS3, by the way.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

@billielith
You found a post from 2 years ago. Flash has changed a lot in that amount of time. AS3 didn't even exist then. If your going to use AS 3 you will have to do things differently. You could however publish to an earlier version of flash and get things to work this way.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
@billielith
You found a post from 2 years ago. Flash has changed a lot in that amount of time. AS3 didn't even exist then. If your going to use AS 3 you will have to do things differently. You could however publish to an earlier version of flash and get things to work this way.

I would highly suggest publishing in a older version of AC(most likely 2). A lot of people are not very tech savvy, and take a longer time(or don't ever) upgrade software, so the will not have the newer version of the flash player. Not to mention, there is not a whole lot you cannot do with 2 that you can do with three.
  • billielith
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy and poly : thanks for replying.

I might be tempted to try to work in AS2 on my CS3 if I can find out how to set that. I think it's upon the creation of a new file? In school we have a previous version of Flash (version 8) and it works in AS2, and until now I've been fine with that.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

bilieth, you can easily switch to AS2 (however it will break any code you've written in AS3). Simply open the publish settings in Flash CS3 and change the "Version" In the drop down menu. Flash player 6 through 8 will be able to handle AS2 and you'll notice that the "Actionscript Version" changes away from ActionScript 3.0 as soon as you change to an older player version.

The only difference between Flash 8 and Flash CS3 (9) is that the newer version uses a different file type for the authoring environment (fla) and you will not be able to open CS3 files in Flash 8 unless you save back a version. This has nothing to do with the Player version you choose to target in the publish settings.

This is becoming pretty common for most of the Adobe products family IE Illustrator and InDesign CS doesn't like Illustrator and Indesign CS3 files etc.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts