Loading/Embedding and Controlling AVI's (movies) in flash

• Sean Dempsey
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sean Dempsey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm in a Flash clash here at my college, and the instructor really is incompetent. So basically, between Ozzu and Kirupa, you guys are all where I learn how to do stuff. If only you gave college credit...

anyways, our current assignment is to make a Flash document that plays/controls movie clips. The assignment is to make a Flash thing to be able to control and play 3 movie trailers, downloaded from the internet (or any AVI or MPG will work).

I am curious if anyone has any links or knows of any places where I can figure out to how get AVI's in flash, and have the flash controls control the movie. Supposedly the movie files need to be external and played from the flash.

Thanks again!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• pricinosus
  • Born
  • Born
  • pricinosus

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm.. interesting... somebody if find something about the problem.... let me know.

Thanks
  • Mp2D
  • Mp2D

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey there is a sample in your flash that does just that...its the one with the car thing...all you have to do is open its .fla (its somewhere in the samples folder...samples/fla) if you find it, i think your competent enough to do some reverse engineering, see what makes it tick...
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mp2D wrote:
hey there is a sample in your flash that does just that...its the one with the car thing...all you have to do is open its .fla (its somewhere in the samples folder...samples/fla) if you find it, i think your competent enough to do some reverse engineering, see what makes it tick...

The sample flash file you are reffering to only deals with controling movie clips, the part he will need help on is getting the downloaded flash files into a folder on the server [ if its online ].
  • flashback10
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • flashback10

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sean Dempsey wrote:
I am curious if anyone has any links or knows of any places where I can figure out to how get AVI's in flash, and have the flash controls control the movie. Supposedly the movie files need to be external and played from the flash.

If you already have the .avi in a folder, on flash, you simply click file>import to stage> and select your movie. The wizard gives you options to adjust settings for the video. The buttons can be controlled with behaviors. I'm not sure if that helps, but that's what it sounds like all you have to do.

maria-
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could go the extra mile and have the 3 movies load in a random order then as stated in previous posts, use simple buttons to control your flash.

Random Movie Loader

As for controling your movie, the tutorial in the link below can be adapted to make a nifty little slider controller.

Slider Controller
  • pricinosus
  • Born
  • Born
  • pricinosus

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D Thank you for the replies.

:cry: But no help, I have the same problem....
How to play an *.AVI (avi file means an Audio/Video stream who uses some codecs for sound and picture; like mp3 for audio, Divx, Xvid for video) into a flash movie controller.

Is there a possibility... to do that.... its like a playing a movie into another movie. Playng an *.AVI movie into a *.SWF movie.

Hoping i was more clear this time... I'll wait for your answers.

P.S. Escuse my bad english :oops:
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm sure someone must know a way to directly play avi or mov format movies from flash, but what i would suggest is to create a new flash document the same size as the .avi you want to use then import the .avi into the flash doc using sorenson (flash mx 2004 has this built into it, mx might, too)...
once you publish that, you've got a .swf with the same video and audio content as your original .avi.
then you can dynamically load the .swf into whatever flash you're using as your frame and controls using an empty movieclip holder...
this allows you to have better control over the video as well as being able to build in a preloader if you want to do that.

so... umm... i don't have a direct answer to your question, but this would get the job done... also, in flash mx 2004 pro, at least, there's a media player component which has playback controls built into it... however, it only plays flv and mp3 format media... flv being the flash video that the sorenson process can convert just about any video format into (for more on this, check out:
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fla ... rimer.html
particularly, look for the flash video update 1.2 which allows you to export flash video for editing programs such as after effects)...

hope this helps,
puck
  • pricinosus
  • Born
  • Born
  • pricinosus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for your reply roarmeow

I have all my holidays videos in this format (DivX) and I want to make a nice and Interactive interface, in flash, for them, like on DVD's. With pictures slideshows, storys, and other.

You told me to create a flash movie from my original avi with same size.
What about quality, compatibility, loosing time.

What is the duration of converting an avi to a flash movie with sorenson ?
Less a day, maybe ? :twisted: :)
too much for me.
I encoded the movies, once.

Besides that I have a dvd player, who plays Divx.

Any Ideeas are welcome
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, first off, sorenson's a good conversion technique... it's quick and you can actually customize so there's very little, if any, loss in the compression...

however, if you're talking about a full dvd of holiday videos, well, yeah, you're right... that's a serious pain in the butt... it probably wouldn't take a day, but you'd be sitting around for a little while there twiddling your thumbs...

a thought i have is that, using fscommand(), you can have flash tell your computer to execute a program... i'm not sure if this kind of command would work from flash, but you could have a button with

Code: [ Select ]
on(release){
fscommand("exec","d:\video1.avi");}
  1. on(release){
  2. fscommand("exec","d:\video1.avi");}

or something like that - look up fscommand() and see what you can come up with - i think your best bet, if you want to use flash, would be to have flash then source out running the video to another program... which, i believe, fscommand is capable of.

good luck,
puck
  • pricinosus
  • Born
  • Born
  • pricinosus

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was a good idea, almost solve my problem.
Unfortunately this not work.....

Maybe it depends the security policy, sp2 and other things like that...

it launch nothing (*.avi , *.exe)

:(

Ifound this link
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowl ... d=tn_16167
and now digging for more.

I'll be back with more information.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts