LoadVar Inquery

• janice_2k
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • janice_2k

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear gurus/members,
I am very new in actionscript and programming. I would like to know whether is it possible to use loadVar() to load a txt file stored in user's computer. I created an application that is stored on user's computer. When user clicks on Flash button on my website, the actionscript will check the user's computer for the exe file. If exe does not exist, the actionscript will prompt a message to quest user download the application. Otherwise, the actionscript will run the application located on user's computer. The following is the basic idea I have. I wonder if it is possible for actionscript to use loadVar() to launch the exe/dll/ocx file. I would be very glad if someone could guide me with the codes in actionscript:

Code: [ Select ]
myLV = new LoadVars();
myLV.onLoad = function(success){
if (success){
    //If the exe file gets loaded, launch the application

} else {
    //If file fails to load, it displays pop up window,
    //requesting to download application.
    //getURL(""http://server:00/library/IEBSoundRecorder.exe"
  }

myLV.load("audioRecorder.exe"); // the exe file is stored on user's computer at C:/Program Files/IEBAudioRecorder/
  1. myLV = new LoadVars();
  2. myLV.onLoad = function(success){
  3. if (success){
  4.     //If the exe file gets loaded, launch the application
  5.   } else {
  6.     //If file fails to load, it displays pop up window,
  7.     //requesting to download application.
  8.     //getURL(""http://server:00/library/IEBSoundRecorder.exe"
  9.   }
  10. myLV.load("audioRecorder.exe"); // the exe file is stored on user's computer at C:/Program Files/IEBAudioRecorder/

Looking forward to some replies soon.

Thanks in advance,
Janice
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is not possible as it poses a serious security risk.

Imagine if you were able to execute .exe files on someones system through a flash movie, the amount of malicious attacks via that method would probably be astounding.

You can't load in a .exe file through loadVars() anyway though, only data files like .txt and .php and such. And you pretty much only load them in if the files are contained on the same server as the flash movie (there are ways around this, but I believe it requires permission from the other server for access to the files, i'm not too keen on server-side flash so i'm not sure).
  • janice_2k
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • janice_2k

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi lostinbeta,
Thanks for your reply. Do you have any suggestions on how can I launch user side's exe application from my webpage?
I used flash to call vbscript function which will launch the application. It works fine. However, due to the createObject() in vbscript, some problems occur. If the internet security settings sets "disable" by default for 'Initializing and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe", the vbscript cannot run. If it is set to "Prompt", a pop up window will be displayed whenever the button is clicked. I wouldn't think requesting users to change their internet security settings is a good method as it will risk the users to malicious scriptings.
I sincerely hope someone could guide me as I am at total lost now :(. Looking forward to some reply soon.

Thanks in advance,
Janice
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really don't know any other ways, sorry.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could setup a walk through for adding the site to their trusted sites list & configuring the security levels of trusted sites to allow the activeX controlls.

Other than that I'm clueless on what to do.
  • janice_2k
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • janice_2k

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks joebert for your reply. I guess I would be using this method as it seems no other ways to enable that without requesting users to do it manually.

Anyway, thank you and have a pleasant day

Janice

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts