MAC vs PC??

• JamesStokes
  • Born
  • Born
  • JamesStokes

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been using PC's for years now (even as long ago as DOS.. before windows!!). I am currently running an Athalon XP running at 1.6GhZ and using XP professional. I mainly use the machine for Web development using Macromedia MX 2004 (Dreamweaver, Flash, and ActionScript).

I am thinking about moving over to the Mac..

Any thoughts?

James
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I give it up for Mac when it comes to the quality of some of their LCDs, but I wouldn't want to do production on their machines, personally.

I couldn't care less what the casing looks like. It's a computer, not furniture.
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's not a G5 forget it :D That machines sweet.... I'm stuck on pcs because I have the most knowledge on them..(building them using them etc) macs are very user friendly though, leaving out the torment on the software side... I just wish you could upgrade them like Pcs... :cry: They dominate in Video/Art/ and drawing... Good stuff, but comes with a price.

Go mac or pc... both good
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

SycomCOmp wrote:
They dominate in Video/Art/ and drawing.

I disagree. There isn't anything a Mac can produce that I can't using my Dell laptop.
  • OriginNO
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: the Glass City (Hometown: the NO)

Post 3+ Months Ago

SycomCOmp wrote:
If it's not a G5 forget it :D That machines sweet.... I'm stuck on pcs because I have the most knowledge on them..(building them using them etc) macs are very user friendly though, leaving out the torment on the software side... I just wish you could upgrade them like Pcs... :cry: They dominate in Video/Art/ and drawing... Good stuff, but comes with a price.

Go mac or pc... both good

I agree and disagree. G4, like the one I currently use are great machines but the new G5 is the ish with it's dual processors and all the new dvd hardware and software it's loaded with. Apple has always been on top when it comes to digital art, video, and music. Thats why you see Apple computers in the background when your watching how a movie was made or music interviews from within the studio. You can create good graphics and stuff with a PC but usually more time consuming because the lack of software designed to help the entertainment industries to produce faster with a better quality than inferior PC's. I have never upgraded a PC but I have yet to run into any problems upgrading my G4, it's not difficult. I have been using Apple computers since Apple was using DOS, too, and had never really used anything but until the invention of the internet and Bill started Microsoft. Then all hell broke loose and now everything is geared toward the internet and microsoft compatiblity. This is why Sycom says your tormented when it comes to software. Stores mainly carry PC software and hardware for that matter. If you decide to get a Mac, be prepared to do most of your software purchasing on line. However with the Mac you'll already be rgistered with the online Apple store and will have access to everything, even befor it comes out. :) When it comes to developing websites, I find that it would be faster if I was on a pc to check my sites from a "Windows" perspective. With all that being said, "I love my Mac and will never switch." :)
  • Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mac irratates me, if you are using a PC now to develop in flash and stuff, i would stick with PC, espically if you have been using it for a while, becuase mac switches some stuff around that if your used to doing it one way, doing it a different way will be a hassle.
  • JamesStokes
  • Born
  • Born
  • JamesStokes

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all your advice. I went into London yesterday afternoon and had a look at the macs there. I must say they look very sexy! I had a play on one of the new eMacs(?) The little white one with the flat screen. It was loaded with the Macromedia products and seemed to perform really well. The look and feel of the OS is far better than windows too. I may be tempted...
  • puKKa
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like the Mac,
One button mouse? thats stupido ^^
Donät like the Mac OS at all, It might be good for clipping, modeling etc but I still prefer a PC since It's more smooth and easier to handle.
  • JamesStokes
  • Born
  • Born
  • JamesStokes

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can use any USB mouse, including Microsoft.
  • OriginNO
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: the Glass City (Hometown: the NO)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't use my Apple mouse either. Kensington TurboBall. Four buttons and I can right click and everything. :) Oh yah, all the USB connections, another good reason to own a mac.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

OriginNO wrote:
...another good reason to own a mac.

Another? I didn't catch the first one.

LOL j/k

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts