Masking with multiple objects

• olio
  • Born
  • Born
  • olio
  • Loc: canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey people, wussup?
im working on a flash site and i'm using the masking effect. thing is, i would like to know how i could use many different symbols for the masking.
this is what i did. i have an arty picture that i made and now i want to have bits of it shown. so i put the arty image in the scene, created a block symbol and masked it with my arty image. but i want to use more blocks that would move about, but the masking option let me mask it once only once and i could not use the other block. i tried puttin both the blocks in a movie clip, but again only one block could be seen. so i would like to know how i could go about using more objects to mask with :?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• DurianFruit
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DurianFruit
  • Loc: Toronto, ON

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok I'm a newbie at flash myself but I think I can help you if I understood you correctly.

Alright let me explain what I think your trying to do. You have a very cool picture that you want to hide and show bit by bit over a movie scene. And to do this you decided to use the masking option to hide blocks that would cover your picture. Did I understand what you are doing or am I totally off?

Well if I'm right about understanding you. Then I would recommend you not to use the masking option to hide your picture and maybe use block symbols and create a motion tween using the 'Alpha' at the color scroll down menu.
  • olio
  • Born
  • Born
  • olio

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha... yea i sounded like a big mess :lol: . well u are right, im tryin to do pretty much what you exlpained about what i had said. however i don quite understand how, what you suggested would work out.
i'll give you an example of what i want to do. im tryin to have 3 circles both moving in different directions (they're small circles) and at the same time i'm tryin to have a rectangular block move across the image and each time it does so, only the arty pic. i made can be seen in those moving objects.
so far, masking seems like the best option. however what you said seems right, but i dont quite understand how that would work :(
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like this LINK ? (I did this real quick nothing special :wink: )

Inverted masking :D

Basically as long as the shape you want to move will always stay the same or have the same number of sides you can cut the shape out of the mask & use a shape tween to move the hole around over top of a rectangle that hides everything.

Here's the FLA if your interested.

(btw, if the links are ever down I know :wink: free host :P )
  • olio
  • Born
  • Born
  • olio

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey thanx. tha does actually make sense. however im kinda still confused on how i would go about using multiple masking with a rectangular object.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Convert the graphic into a symbol.
Create a new layer in this symbol above the graphic.
Do your rectangle masking in this new layer. (making the swipe of graphic going across)

You should have a scanline like effect as of now.

Create a new symbol in a layer above the one with the graphic masked & do the inverted masking with your circles there.

Example
FLA
  • olio
  • Born
  • Born
  • olio

Post 3+ Months Ago

thas niceeeee. aite, how about this. any idea on how you could like have the circles moving in a random motion around the scene? like is there a code or anythin that you could use to make the circles move around randomly on their own?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Scripted Motion Mask

FLA

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts