multiple preloaders

• wakeup
  • Born
  • Born
  • wakeup

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just wondering if someone can help me, Basically ive done a website totally in flash, each page of info in a different scene,
The company im doing this for wants all these movies of work they done in the portfolio scene page.
Ive preloaded the whole flash document with the preloader in scene 1, but cos there is soo much information on the portfolio page like 1 meg worth of info i dont want to wait for that too be preloaded before they see they see the rest of the information, so heres my question!

How can i setup multiple preloaders so that the first preloader loads up all the scenes, then have a seperate preloader in the same fla. file which preloads the portfolio page ?

I would be glad to get some help if this makes sense :roll:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My advice would be to lose the scenes and load movie clips each with their own preloader. I've done this before and found it to be very effective.

I would defer to lostinbeta for a better method, if one exists, though.
  • the_Maven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • the_Maven

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let's see if i have this straight. you have a different 'page' on its own scene. I am assuming that each 'page' only takes up one frame. If this is the case, wouldn't it be easier to have all the pages on one scene (the same scene that the preloader is on)? that just might eliminate the need for complex coding, and navigation would also be easier. Just a thought.

- The Maven
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

A preloader is a delay before the movie starts so that it can fully load and play smoothly... otherwise your site will skip and lag.

Since this is all in one file, you can only use one preloader. To use seperate preloaders for each "page" you will need to make each page it's own external .swf file and load it into the main one via loadMovie()... which is the most efficient way to do something like this and something I highly recommend learning how to do :)
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Note: threads merged, my guess is you hit the post button twice or something and created 2 of the same threads in the same section.
  • wakeup
  • Born
  • Born
  • wakeup

Post 3+ Months Ago

cheers, thnx for the help guys!
loox like loadMovie() is the way its gota be
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

These might help...

Info on loadMovie(): http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash ... ry423.html

Info on loadMovieNum(): http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash ... ry424.html

And what loadMovie() does is essentially loads an external .swf file into the current .swf file. So each of your movies are contained in seperate .fla files, which you then export as .swf.

Since your movies are all seperate .fla files, you can add a preloader to each one individually (if you code your preloader right that is).

Here is an example of a preloader that works whether the movie is being loaded into another movie or not...

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/perc ... loader.htm

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts