Nav Fonts Help!

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok here is the start of my new flash website
http://kalbal.50free.net/flash/main.html
the only pages that are done are the home page and contact. I set the buttons (along top) to a different font, but they come up as times new roman, i did set them to a "blackgothic" font, any1 know y>?...it works on mine, but on my bro's comp it dont, it looks very much like times new roman.
but the font in the rest of the site is still as normal, it only changes the bottons :shock:

HELP!

i didn't want to show any1 the new site but i guess its out now :oops:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a common problem with fonts. Unless it's part of a graphic you have created, the user has to have it installed on their machine in order to see it. In your case you can see the blackgothic because it's installed on your machine, but it looks like Times New Roman on your boss's (and my computer) because we do not have that font installed. If the font is not found it display's the browser's default font instead (which is by default going to be set to Times New Roman).

You're always safest to stick to the more common True Type fonts, or if you want to do something like what you are trying to do, make it a graphic.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What ATNO/TW said is mostly true, the part that isn't is that it doesn't HAVE to be a graphic imported for the font to work.

There are 2 method to get a font to work in Flash that isn't installed on a users machine.

Method 1) Use a static textbox, this will automatically embed the font outlines for the characters needed so the viewer can see the font.

Method 2) If you are using a dynamic or input textbox, you need to go into the properties panel and look for the button labeled "Character..." , after clicking on that, choose to embed the font outline.

Method 3 (if you are using createTextField() to create your textboxes)): Import the font into the library, set it's linkage settings to export for actionscript, use the TextFormat object to set the font and use textfieldInstanceName.embedFonts = true; to make sure the font outlines are embedded
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks lostinbeta - I didn't know Flash had that capability. Thanks for the info.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks alot, i will try it when i get in, atm i am at school
  • solaris
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lost is basically all correct, but one thing u have to remember, is if you ever share your source files, if you have a uncommonly used font inside, it has to be a graphic, or (broken apart), otherwise it wont show it in its intended font. Then it will just revert to the next best font available. :shock:
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure, but even then you don't need to use a graphic.

You can import the font into the library and use Method 3 in my last post :wink:

(importing a font to the library is typically done for dynamically created textfields, but it can be used on a manually created textbox as well)
  • solaris
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm, ive enevr tried importing a font file :oops: i guess i should try that from now on ;)
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depends on what you are doing.

Embedding an entire font file into the library can add abuot 18-20Kb to the file size (of the exported .swf file), so if your amount of images don't add up to that, then maybe images are better, but that would also make it a bit harder to update (depending on what the font is used for)

It's all about situations ;)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do u import a whole font, i have been trying but getting nowhere.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Open the library panel, in the upper-right corner you will see an icon that looks like a few lines and a down arrow or something. Click on that for the context menu, in there should be an option for "Import Font" or something similar.

After that to be able to use it you will have to right click on the imported font in the library and chooswe "Linkage" from the context menu, then check the "Export For Actionscript" checkbox (leave the linkageID the same)

Then after that, you will have to give your textbox an instance name, and on a frame you will have to add
Code: [ Select ]
textBoxInstanceName.embedFonts = true;
I think that is all you will have to add since the textbox is manually created it should use the font you have selected in the propeties panel, but I never tried it.
  • paulschase
  • Born
  • Born
  • paulschase

Post 3+ Months Ago

this works great, but I am trying to have actionscript update the text box and getting no where.

I linked a fonts file and created a text box and manually choose the font, perfect!

then created a text box, let actionscript do all the work (including embedfonts=true, no avail.

then I embed the font to the local file, exported for actionscript all is cool?

any idea how to get the fonts out of the root file and into an external file?!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts