Open an AOL Instant Messenger Window from Flash

• SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you got AOL(instant messenger) here's a nifty tag "Just put your screen name in the "YourScreenName","
Quote:
on (release) {
getURL ("aim:GoIM?ScreenName=YourScreenName&Message=WASSUP!");
}

Later
:arrow: SycomCOmp :idea:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

SPLIT: not off topic now, huh? ;)
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

excellent :P
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of course, since that's the way it works with an html link all you have to do is slap it in a getURL in flash to get it to work in Flash ;)
  • HIMofALLsins
  • Born
  • Born
  • HIMofALLsins

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all... first post... don't kill me please.

Probably the coolest trick I have seen using this is having people fill out a form that goes to a PHP file, stores the info in an SQL database & then kicks out a predetermined instant message per your callnig to the user inthe defined field. Doesn't make much sense? Well... here is a link to something that uses this process:

http://www.bandbuilder.com/staind

If you go to the "TELL A FRIEND" area you can both e-mail and instant message someone but it seems this info is going to a PHP file file which not only logs the info you entered in each form field but in the IM instance will then kick out a predetermined message to the user you requested. I see the benefit to use this feature in such a manner but I have been hard pressed to recreate it. I am sure a cheap method of doing so would be to back-engineer the FLA but that's too cheap. I want to understand it more.

Anyone have any thoughts?
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well you have the method above to IM someone (can be contained in an A HREF in HTML instead of a getURL in Flash). The rest would just be creating the PHP script to parse the data from a form in Flash. I believe you would call the .php page with the script in a getURL but I am honestly not sure as Server-Side Flash was never anything I delved into (although I should look into it sometime ;)) It would either be something like getURL or the LoadVars() object.
  • intrepid design
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice trick, ive been looking for a way to do that for a while now, thanks for the tip!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts