Pathfinding

• Lord Sivell
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Lord Sivell
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I plan to make a map of a transport system (trains, buses, trams etc.) using Flash where you can find the fastest way between stations and/or bus stops etc. I haven't started anything in Flash yet, I was just wondering if I could get some thoughts on it. What information would each station/stop need? How do I make the links between stations/stops? Preferably the data will be held in a database, but that can be added afterwards.

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bryanatncsu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure why your not getting much reply on such a great question... here is my thought:

Predetermine all the times to get between points and all combinations of them except where a cycle occurs (cycle = return to any visited spot). That way all the information is there in a big array or something. Then you just look it up instead of using up the CPU on the users computer.

Also, when doing that use nodes. Give each node a weight or label or whatever more you like. There is plenty more out there for getting between the points.
:starwars:

hope that helps
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The A* algorithm is the most common pathfinding method.

http://www.gotoandplay.it/_forums/viewtopic.php?t=41
  • Lord Sivell
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Lord Sivell
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, thanks for the reply. :)

I don't think I quite understand what you mean. I want to be able to have all the information in a DB so that it'll be something like:

Table for Bus 482:
9:55am | SuperTown
10:05am | AnotherTown

etc. And then with this information be able to work out the fastest way between 2 points... The problem I'm having is with the time differences (not that I've started anything in Flash yet). Would you have to work out all the possible ways to get from point A to point B, and then find the shortest?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts