Please help!

• ecu33
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ecu33
  • Loc: Eastern US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have two issues with a website I have just finished. The first is the speed at which the thumbnails and images load. The second is I cannot figure out a way for the grey box to be transparent until a thumbnail is selected. If anyone can look at this I will be glad to email the flash file. It's pretty long and I wouldn't want to post it here. The website is:

http://www.dalewilliamsphotography.com Once there go to any of the galleries.

Thanks to everyone.

Matt[/url]
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

as far as the grey box is concerned... i'm not quite sure how it's set up, but i'm going to assume that the scrolling thumbnails are in a movieclip and each one is a button with actions applied to it...
if this is the case, you can set up, in the main movieclip for each gallery, a point it gets to... where it moves through the image coming in and shrinking away and the thumbnails load blah blah... and make the grey box transparent (alpha=0%)
then put a keyframe up top... in that keyframe, write
Code: [ Select ]
stop();

then put another keyframe after it, titled "loaded"
then you can put an action on the movieclip with the thumbnails in it:
Code: [ Select ]
onClipEvent(mouseDown){gotoAndStop("loaded");}

then put a keyframe in the layer that the movieclip's on in the "loaded" frame and erase that script the movieclip (so it doesn't keep doing actions it doesn't need to do...
as far as the speed at which the thumbnails and images load, well...
when you save 'em in photoshop, you can definitely scale back on their quality (for instance, if you're saving 'em as jpgs, just play with that quality slider 'til they're on the bottom edge of being good enough to look at)...
in flash, under the publication options or something like that... "Publish Settings" i think it's called, there's an option for what quality you want it to publish images at... slide that around and test publish it 'til you like the quality but it still loads fast...

sorry if this post is a little garbled, i'm... um... "loaded"... :turn-l:
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

oops...
check it out... change that onClipEvent to "gotoAndPlay"
then, at the "loaded" frame, set up a tween where the box goes from alpha=0% to alpha=100%... it'd be smooth that way and the box'll appear nice and gradual once you click on any of the thumbnails...

more sleep, good...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts