Preloading external .swf files in HTML

• rragan
  • Born
  • Born
  • rragan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi folks,

I am new to this stuff so let me first apologize if I sound like an idiot for not knowing how to do this. It seems simple enough but none of the ways I've tried so far have worked.

I have a site in HTML and have four different pages with one external .swf file on each page. The .swf files are a little large so when you select each page it takes a long time for them to load. Is there a way to preload them or to create a "loading" page for them? I have created a preloader in Flash but that becomes part of the .swf file which then makes it even larger (and therefore longer to load). I would be happy with a simple "loading" page in html that doesn't finish until the .swf files have loaded but the one I did plays and then it still takes forever for the flash file to come up...

If anyone has ANY ideas please...I could really use the help.
thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all, a preloader is always a good idea, and YES, the total KB output will increase with just about any preloader out there, that's normal. But at least people will see how far they are from seeing what you want to show them.

As for preloading external swf files, you might want to go through the typical JavaScript snippets that preload images for when they are needed on regular HTML pages. A common example is for a mouse over effect, where the "Mouse Out Image" needs to be replaced by the "Mouse Over Image". You can play around with it and preload the swf file instead. If you need a link on where to find that type of scripts, just post so. Even Dreamweaver or Fireworks can create that script for you if you create a mouse over effect with two images...

Hope it helps. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts