Scrubbing Time Line

• hartzz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hartzz

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have tried to search the archives for this, but don't see exactly what I want. I simply want an animation to play along with the time line to allow the user to scrub the timeline. I have a video that plays for about 2 minutes and I would like the user to not only see the progress in the video, but to be able to grab and drag the progress bar up or down. This can't be novel, it's just that I'm too new to figure it out. If someone has one they can post, or refer to a place I can find info on how to make one (in newbie terms) I would appreciate it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

What version of flash are you using? and do you have the source files for the video?

usually when you see that sort of thing done they're actually using video that streams through flash and not a timeline animation.

If you have flash 8 pro I would recommend looking at the flvplayback component (its prebuilt by Adobe to have all the video controls) I think there's a similar thing in MX04 called the media display component.

Its possible to make a scrubber for the timeline but its messy and could be pretty processor intensive depending on the animation
  • hartzz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hartzz

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using Flash Pro 8. I am not concerned with processor intensive necessarily. The video I have is a quicktime movie that I created from still images. I was not aware of the flvplayback component...is that inside Flash 8?

This is not something for web but rather a single end user through a published executable file.
I just thought it would be something simple to have a progress bar appear under the video that only controls the timeline. I have already built separate controls that are PLAY STOP and Single frame advance, but if the component that you mentioned has those, I would like to try. Where do I find the playback component?
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

The component should have everything you need. To view your components pannel Window -> Components. That opens up a pannel with an expandable menu. You want the one called FLVplayback - player 8. Drag the component to your stage. Then go back to the window menu -> Component Inspector. This will open another pannel that allows you to modify the component.

Now there's a catch. To use this component you need to convert your quicktime to an flv. You can do this by selecting File -> Import -> Import Video.

In the wizzard pick your file and click next. Select progressive download and click next. From the next step select a quailty. (Flash 8 - High) is probably ok since your going to be doing this stand alone. NOTE. This is going to make a stand alone FLV file. You have to include this in the same directory as your flash movie.

Hope that helps
  • hartzz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hartzz

Post 3+ Months Ago

So why is it that there are no components that work with embedded video? Are there any? I would love to have a player component that has time line scrub control with play, stop, scrub bar, frame forward and frame back. Is there such a componant that works right in the time line? If it exists it would probably be very complicated I'm sure. But one such as that would serve me on nearly everything I'm trying to do in Flash.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

There may be a component that allows for that... But I'm not personally aware of one. There are many flash components available and you could always make your own system. http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm

I assume the reason you don't see much with embeded video is that most of Flash's use comes from web deliverable content and a single 8 to 10mb file is really pushing the limits of what a user wants for a single download.
  • hartzz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hartzz

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I understood what the heck I was doing with action scripting and components, then I could probably make my own system. My first post was to ask how to write an action that simply moved the timeline ahead 12 frames when an object was clicked and I couldn't even get that to work.

None of the Flashes I am writing now are for web deployment. The good news is that I have the freedom to create things that are way bigger than a web application could handle. The bad news is that it's difficult to find answers to questions that arise because of that.

If anyone has a simple way of adding a playback componant (or how to build one) to a regular time line, that would really help me. I can easily put playback controls for the timeline, but the scrub bar baffles me. I guess I just need to keep learning all I can and eventually I'll get there.
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can always export an embeded video to .flv, and then use net stream along with net connection. Read the flash help for these classes or google search.
Anyway, if you want to play an embeded video, then you have to create your own player and use _currentframe property in order to jump to the desired frame.
i.e.:
Code: [ Select ]
this.createEmptyMovieClip("myVideo", 0);
myVideo.loadMovie("video.swf");
onEnterFrame = function()
{
    if (myVideo.getBytesTotal() > 10)
    {
      if (myVideo.getBytesLoaded() == myVideo.getBytesTotal())
      {
         myVideo.gotoAndPlay(myVideo._currentframe + 12);
      }
     }
}
stop();
  1. this.createEmptyMovieClip("myVideo", 0);
  2. myVideo.loadMovie("video.swf");
  3. onEnterFrame = function()
  4. {
  5.     if (myVideo.getBytesTotal() > 10)
  6.     {
  7.       if (myVideo.getBytesLoaded() == myVideo.getBytesTotal())
  8.       {
  9.          myVideo.gotoAndPlay(myVideo._currentframe + 12);
  10.       }
  11.      }
  12. }
  13. stop();

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts