Skip to Marker Function?

• chargrims
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • chargrims

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I'm creating a very simple set of movie controls for some imported video.

Play/Pause I can do simply enough, but I'm not sure how to approach the skip functions.

The simplest approach I can think of is designating marker frames, and having a function that skips forward or back to the next marker, I'm just not sure what this function would be?

Any help is appreciated :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

you made a player for .swf or .flv ?
if for .swf, then just skip by number of frames.
you know that total frames are: loadedSwf._totalframes, so that's 100%.
Also you know the current frame, which is loadedSwf._currentframe; it represents some FramePercent %. Therefor, FramePercent = loadedSwf._currentframe * 100 / loadedSwf._totalframes;
Presuming you have a dragging bar, between StartX and EndX, you calculate the percent to which you release the bar ... let's say you drag it untill coordinate currentX (that's dragBar._x) . You calculate it with: Percent = (currentX - StartX )*100 / (EndX - StartX);
, then you calculate the frame from the percent, from the upper formula: newFrame = Percent * loadedSwf._totalframes / 100.
then ....: gotoAndPlay(newFrame).

if you load .flv using NetStream and NetConnection, is easier: you have the function: netStream.seek(numberOfSeconds).
  • classified
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Bahrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

your approach is good ...
another way is encoding it to flv & add cuepoints .
readmore about cuepoints ...

http://www.mediacollege.com/flash/video/cuepoints.html

google ...
  • chargrims
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • chargrims

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your help. Classified, your solution is more what I'm looking for but unfortunately I'm working in Flash MX and don't have cue points.

Icecold, your scrollbar solution is pretty complex for my skills, I'm by no means an expert in Flash, it's just something I've had to pick up.

Besides, it's really a skip function I'm looking for; the video is a short showreel of my film work, 9mins long, and I want to be able to skip between clips. The trouble with skipping by numbers of frames is that it will be a different number of frames between each clip.
  • chargrims
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • chargrims

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been wanting to try splitting the video up in to scenes, but whenever I cut the video in to two, the second selection starts from the beginning (as opposed to where I cut it).
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep, that's how flash behave.
Split it with another tool then import the splitted parts into flash, in different mc's.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts