Soccer team database

• lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all, this is my first Flash post! So here is my thing:

I have this database for a soccer team in England that I am painstakingly putting together - to include all statistics possible for every player in the teams history. I aim to have it so that users can figure out for example, if players A and B played but C did't on any given game, what was the team record, which players had the best goals/game-time ratio, etc. I have bought many books and done extensive research to get the data as perfect as possible (I even bought a 1961 set of 4 humungous 'football' encyclopedias to back up my research.

With each game the team plays I update the database. Other information include things like player transfer fees, dates of birth, first & last games, nationality, pictures, etc etc...

As you can probably imagine, I don't want to post this database online (without some sort of protection) for everyone to reap the rewards of my hard work. :?: So I am wondering if Flash could be a good way of me giving users access to all these wonderful stats, without them being able to download it? Is that possible? :?:

The reason I ask is that I've seen other sites have image galleries produced in Flash and it 'seems' that the pictures cannot be downloaded.

I am probably not going to have the full database (18xx-current) live in the near future, but I was considering posting the last 10 years of data or so, so that I could see what sort of response this type of venture was going to receive.

Thanks for all your help!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

lionking wrote:
So I am wondering if Flash could be a good way of me giving users access to all these wonderful stats, without them being able to download it? Is that possible? :?:

Yes. Excluding malicous attacks, you can use Flash to display the data so the user can't cut and paste it.

lionking wrote:
The reason I ask is that I've seen other sites have image galleries produced in Flash and it 'seems' that the pictures cannot be downloaded.

Not true. There's always "Prnt Scrn". :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Out of all the methods of making content harder to rip, I think Flash is the most effective while still keeping things functional.

Another good thing about Flash with a database as large as you're talking, is being able to load a single interface & thereafter request only the data via xml or loadVars which when done right can save a alot of bandwidth per session, especially with the search/comparason plans you mention.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts