Strange effect , what am I doing wrong?

• BillyBoy
  • BillyBoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I changed a few things around and dumped the browser sniffer. Now SP2 doesn't nag (nothing to nag about) but something weird.

I designed at 1280x1024 (size of my main Flash) because that's my default resolution and I reasoned anyone viewing at lower resolution would still see images OK because if scaling happening it is more likely to be down, not up. is this goofy thinking? :?:

Take a look http://www.bb-video.net/fullscreen.htm

Click the green tutorial button, then the 3D buttton at left, then finally click on the eagle icon to see the start of the tutorial. I can see it clearly. Others using 1024x768 say they can barely read the text, too small. I originall had 12 point text, bumped it up to 16 points, and create the text filed dynamically.

I took a sceen capture and the opposite of what you would expect is happening. Everything is smaller at lower resolution. Normally everything would be larger. Why?

Look at this, am I going nuts?

http://www.bb-video.net/screen-capture.jpg

I origniallly had both FSCommands for full screen and scale. Dropped the scale and it doesn't seem to matter.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL. . . . . . . .

you are trying too hard to understand what is going on. think about the resolutions.

1280x1024 that is 1280 pixels wide.
640x480 This is ONLY 640 pixels wide. HALF OF 1280

SO. . . . OF COURSE 640X480 IS SMALLER!!!!!!

Now, when you have your monitor set to 800x600, everything will look Bigger! This is because everything is being stretched to fit. The easiest way to express this is to show exact dimensions.

I have an image that is 100x100 in size.

On a monitor at 400x400 resolution, the image would take 1/4 of the screen.

On a monitor with 1000x1000 resolution, the image only takes 1/10 of the screen.

I hope you are following with me.

Those are pixel aspect ratios. Flash does not work in pixels. It is a vector based program. This means that is works off of mathematical formulas. This is your problem. Your movie that you designed at 1280x1024 is going to show up incredibly small on a 640x480 monitor. What you are doing is trying to scale down your entire movie clip to fit into the space of 1/2 of the original. That means everything shrinks.

Good luck. . .
  • BillyBoy
  • BillyBoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

:( Well duh I know... but its confusing because after years of doing just normal web pages you get used to seeing things get larger as resolution goes down or things get smaller as resolution goes up.

Bangs head against wall....Because I set to full screen the lower you go the smaller things get because Flash will try to fill the space. Got that.

The 64 dollar question is how can I or is there even a way to get past that?

I know ActionScript has something where you can get a end user's resolution but how do you use it so everyone sees the Flash without shrinking it down to tiny size? Putting it at a fixed size like 800x600 seems dumb and for what I'm trying to do won't fit and defeats using Flash in the frist place then. Help! My wall got enough dents in it from me banging my head against it. Surely someone ran into thsi annoyance before and has a cleven fix.
  • stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can use the FScommand to control your movie so that it does not scale.

This will make everyone with a small screen resolution have to scroll within the browser window. They will have to scroll a lot!!!

The only fix for this is to design it to work on a small resolution and when it scales, it will still look fine. You can also create 2 or 3 different movies that support different resolutions. Then you can have the end user, select their screen resolution and direct them to your custom created flash movie for that specifiic screen size.

If you are really good with flash, and javascript, you can write your own functions to interact with eachother. Thus, at low resolutions, you will use drop down menus for links, (to save space) and with larger resolutions the flash movie with produce actual visual links. etc. . . . Your functions will also set the sizing of internal movie clips and text boxes depending on the resolution found. THIS WOULD TAKE A LOT OF WORK!!!! :!:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts