Streaming FLV using the mediaDisplay component

• tarafenton
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tarafenton
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I am trying to stream flv using the mediaDisplay component. I first tested the stream using the mediaPlayback component without any problems. Now that I am only using the mediaDisplay component I'm not streaming the video on the server anymore. And the even more evil :evil: part of it is that the video streams in flash but not on the server. :(

mediaPlayback - In the component inspector the url is rtmp://fvss.playstream.com/fvssod/profi ... es/opening which gets it to work.

mediaDisplay - I've tried

1. in the component inspector (same as above) url rtmp://fvss.playstream.com/fvssod/profi ... es/opening - worked exported in flash, but not on the server

2. in the actions panel
Code: [ Select ]
myDisplay.setMedia("rtmp://fvss.playstream.com/fvssod/profilesseries/opening.flv", "FLV");

myDisplay.play();
var myListener = new Object();
myListener.complete = function(eventObject) {
    myDisplay.setMedia("rtmp://fvss.playstream.com/fvssod/profilesseries/opening.flv", "FLV");
  myDisplay.play();

};
myDisplay.addEventListener("complete", myListener);
stop();
  1. myDisplay.setMedia("rtmp://fvss.playstream.com/fvssod/profilesseries/opening.flv", "FLV");
  2. myDisplay.play();
  3. var myListener = new Object();
  4. myListener.complete = function(eventObject) {
  5.     myDisplay.setMedia("rtmp://fvss.playstream.com/fvssod/profilesseries/opening.flv", "FLV");
  6.   myDisplay.play();
  8. };
  9. myDisplay.addEventListener("complete", myListener);
  10. stop();

3. I've even tried using the mediaDisplay in conjunction with the mediaController (off the stage) with more code that I won't post. With no results.

4. I've also tried contacting my hosting company asking about MIME files another site mentioned - not even sure it has anything to do with what I'm trying to do.

ANY Suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Tara
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the server does have to have the FLV mime type enabled. In most cases it is not enabled by default.

Here's a couple tutes to double check you didn't miss anything

http://fr.techsmith.com/products/studio ... s/1506.asp
Macromedia tute
Macromedia article
  • tarafenton
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tarafenton

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm still missing something. But I did find out that the audio is streaming and I read another thread about the same issue and it said that it was probably because of the compression. I'm using Flash 8 Video Encoder to encode the video. I didn't mess with any of the encoding settings.

What should I use to compress the video? What settings?

Why does the video play exported from flash?

Thanks,
Tara
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may be using an outdated Flash Player in your browser. I know for certain that if you are publishing your files with FLVPlayback component to Flash 8 and are using an earlier version player the sound will stream but the video won't. (Btw when previewing in flash it uses Flash Player 8 for the preview but if it's not installed as a plugin on your browser the video won't show up there. So even though you can see it in flash doesn't mean your browser is current)

First thing if you're using Flash 8 Video Encoder to encode your video, then is it safe to assume you have Flash 8? If so are you using the FLVPlayback component and just using the listeners to trigger an event?

Also are you adding the listeners when you encode the video in the Encoder?

Also, make sure both Audio and Video are checked in the encoder. Had one person here the other day that had similar problem and they did not have video encoding selected in the encoder.
  • tarafenton
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tarafenton

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using listeners. (please see first post code)

how do I add the listeners when I encode the video in the Encoder?

ATNO/TW wrote:
Also, make sure both Audio and Video are checked in the encoder. Had one person here the other day that had similar problem and they did not have video encoding selected in the encoder.

would the flash player show video if i only exported audio? I am seeing the video locally exported in flash.

Also, another important point that I mentioned in my first post is that the video plays in the MediaPlayback component fine. I am having the problem when I am trying to view it in the MediaDisplay component. So really I don't think that it is the video. Is it possible there is something wrong with the MediaDisplay component?

Thank You
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, that's sorta why I asked the question. If you are using Flash Video Encoder 8 Then I was wondering if you have Flash8. The way you are talking almost looks like you are using Flash MX components.

In the Encoder in advanced video options you can set cuepoints. Then in Flash 8 you use the FLVPlayback component instead of the outdated MediaDisplay.

Regardless you still have to set listeners to trigger events. For example take this animation
http://www.alaron-nuclear.com/devsite/g ... trol4.html
When I encoded that in Flash Video Encoder 8 I set beginning and ending cuepoints. All I wanted to do for my event was loop the video. So I did that with actionscript.

The code for the listener that loops it is this (ignore the trace - that was for testing obviously)

Code: [ Select ]
stop();

import mx.video.*;
var listenerObject1:Object = new Object();
listenerObject1.cuePoint = function(eventObject:Object):Void {
     var cuePtName = eventObject.info.name;
   if (cuePtName == "endLoop") {
   my_FLVPlybk.seekToNavCuePoint(0);

//trace("Elapsed time in seconds: " + my_FLVPlybk.playheadTime);
   //trace("Cue point name is: " + eventObject.info.name);
   //trace("Cue point type is: " + eventObject.info.type);
     }
 };
my_FLVPlybk.addEventListener("cuePoint", listenerObject1);
  1. stop();
  2. import mx.video.*;
  3. var listenerObject1:Object = new Object();
  4. listenerObject1.cuePoint = function(eventObject:Object):Void {
  5.      var cuePtName = eventObject.info.name;
  6.    if (cuePtName == "endLoop") {
  7.    my_FLVPlybk.seekToNavCuePoint(0);
  9.      //trace("Elapsed time in seconds: " + my_FLVPlybk.playheadTime);
  10.    //trace("Cue point name is: " + eventObject.info.name);
  11.    //trace("Cue point type is: " + eventObject.info.type);
  12.      }
  13.  };
  14. my_FLVPlybk.addEventListener("cuePoint", listenerObject1);

What it looks like to me is you are trying to use techniques for flash MX. Unfortunately I never used flash MX to a great extent and not at all for streaming FLV. That's why I asked what version you are using. I'm unfamiliar with mediaDisplay component but very comfortable with Flash8 FLVPlayback component.
  • tarafenton
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tarafenton

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need help with the mediaDisplay component, if you don't use it, I understand. You aren't able to customize the playback component. That's why I need to use the mediaDisplay component. Thanks for all of your suggestions

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts