swf develops 'artifacts' on resize

• roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey...

i've got this swf that has a simple box in it...
i'm developing it so that it can fit in its entirety on smaller screens, so i've got the width and height set to 100%...

the page is:
http://www.tiffanyatlasphotography.com/indexsm.htm
check out one of the galleries (fashion, travel, people and places)

the problem is: at certain sizes, it develops a second line near the left border of the larger image frame.
if you play around with your browser window size, you'll see what i mean...

anyone know why this is happening and/or how to fix it?

peace and blessings,
puck
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you resize a .swf it causes the contents to resize as well, which will cause distortion.

The link you put is broken, so I don't know the exact situation, but it sounds to me like a line is getting distored from scaling and is getting anti-aliased in a way that it looks thicker.
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the reply and sorry about the broken link...

it's
http://www.tiffanyatlasphotography.com/ ... ndexsm.htm

and, oddly enough, the line doesn't get thicker, but another one appears a few pixels to the right of the original...

if you go to the travel section and click on the thumbnail with the adobe house... then play with the size a little bit, you'll see the second line appear (i feel like i'm describing some magic eye book or something...)

in any case, any ideas'd be tight...

and, once again, thanks for your patience and help...

peace out,
puck
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, I have never seen this problem before...lol.

What it looks like to me is an improperly cropped image. Because it isn't just a line, it's got qualities of the picture in it. And it fades in and out. So it's as if they forgot to crop off that last pixel.

As for why it disappears. Flash is really annoying with imported images. It tends to mess with the far right and bottom pixels... often crunching them inwards (which is really annoying when you import pixel art). So since this line is only 1px, Flash it showing/hiding it based on how it's anti-aliasing that pixel.

This is my only theory.. for now...lol.
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, if it's got you a little perplexed, i feel a little better about myself...

another fold is that the image actually doesn't have any white space in it, so that 1px line is actually outside of the area of the imported image...

hmm...how about it...

right now, the frame is a box drawn in flash on the stage...
do you think it woud work better to draw the box with actionscript? maybe that's the problem??

EDIT - just tried it... don't work... and, for some reason, the actionscript-drawn lines make the file (just marginally) bigger than the one where i drew them in with the box drawing tool...

anyways... thanks again for looking into this and, considering how much respect i've got for your knowledge, it definitely makes me feel better that you're a little confused too :)

peace out
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

figured it out!

i have the images all loading into long movieclip and the thumbnails and arrow buttons determine the coordinates of that movieclip (and, hence, what image is visible)...

when the images resize, though, the space between them changes somewhat, so... i just put a slightly larger buffer space between the images and... ta da!

just had to play around a bit, but i appreciate your help, LIB... always lookin out for folks even if it's a strange problem...

peace out.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahhh... that makes sense... I didn't know that was how they were loading.

Glad you got your problem solved!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts