.swf or .flv?

• vediason
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • vediason

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not long ago I stumbled upon //link removed due to excessive spam. Everything goes well except I still can't figure out the difference between .swf and .flv, which are the output formats it can convert to. Since I am new to flash, I'm really puzzled. They are both flash formats. But how can I tell them apart?
Any help will be appreciated a lot!
Thanks in advance!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dhonsvick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dhonsvick

Post 3+ Months Ago

FLV is an Encoded Video Format - But can not be interacted with once it is encoded. a SWF file is still in a standard Flash format..... Now here is why you are confused.

What has happened here is they can out put the Video... (FLV) embedded in a flash movie for you ... the SWF has a video player built into it and the embeddd the FLV into the SWF file. The SWF file is ready to go if you wanted to put it on a webpage.....

The FLV will need to be called from a video player and can not be directly played from a web page. You would want to use the FLV if you had already made your own Flash Video Player or if your uploading to a site that does. But the FLV can not be played by itself on the web.....the SWF can.
  • vediason
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • vediason

Post 3+ Months Ago

dhonsvick wrote:
FLV is an Encoded Video Format - But can not be interacted with once it is encoded. a SWF file is still in a standard Flash format..... Now here is why you are confused.

What has happened here is they can out put the Video... (FLV) embedded in a flash movie for you ... the SWF has a video player built into it and the embeddd the FLV into the SWF file. The SWF file is ready to go if you wanted to put it on a webpage.....

The FLV will need to be called from a video player and can not be directly played from a web page. You would want to use the FLV if you had already made your own Flash Video Player or if your uploading to a site that does. But the FLV can not be played by itself on the web.....the SWF can.

Thanks for sharing, dhonsvick!
when I was browsing the official site of //removed - you don't need to mention the website to ask this question, I learnt that flv is the abbreviation for flash video and .swf files can publish as html. Is that true? Can I understand in this way?
  • dhonsvick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dhonsvick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Swf is the Output From Flash - FLV is a component to be used in a SWF file. Take your Tube For example - You Upload your movie - as FLV or it converts to FLV...then it plays the Movie with a SWF using a FLVPlayback Component or Hand Coded Flash Video PLayer.

So in Essence SWF is the Software to play FLV's. As Flash compiles the SWF file it also will create a HTML Page that embeds the SWF player into it and tells it which file to play. Much the same way that You can use HTML to embed windows meda player.
  • vediason
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • vediason

Post 3+ Months Ago

dhonsvick wrote:
Swf is the Output From Flash - FLV is a component to be used in a SWF file. Take your Tube For example - You Upload your movie - as FLV or it converts to FLV...then it plays the Movie with a SWF using a FLVPlayback Component or Hand Coded Flash Video PLayer.

So in Essence SWF is the Software to play FLV's. As Flash compiles the SWF file it also will create a HTML Page that embeds the SWF player into it and tells it which file to play. Much the same way that You can use HTML to embed windows meda player.

Thanks again for your help! You must be elaborate.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

flash compiles a file with an extension of .swf which gets placed into an html page. Usually if you want to view the swf file you open the html page in your browser. Flash doesn't output a html file but it can build an html page for you that has your flash(swf) embeded in the page.

video such as mpeg, quicktime, avi, etc can be converted to a flash video file (flv) which can be imported into the swf allowing flash to "play" video

You want an flv file if you already have a flash player created. For example youTube will play an flv. You want a swf if you don't have anything built to play the video.

Thats like asking if you want a DVD or a DVD + a TV/DVD Player.

FLV = DVD where as the swf can play the flv so its like a TV/DVD player AND the video media. Obviously its a lot more complex than that but this answers your origional question
  • vediason
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • vediason

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for sharing!
With your help, I have understood their difference very well.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

dhonsvick wrote:
FLV is an Encoded Video Format - But can not be interacted with once it is encoded.

You are so wrong there. You can set cuepoints when encoding and can then interact with the cuepoints via actionscript.
  • classified
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Bahrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep cue point ...
http://www.zainals.com/xperments/Cues/cue.html

try

fight
dance
drop

cant remember old xperement
http://www.zainals.com/blog/2006/12/29/ ... ideo-cues/
  • dhonsvick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dhonsvick

Post 3+ Months Ago

I stand corrected :)
Yes you could use que points...but you can not interact with it by itself.
  • vediason
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • vediason

Post 3+ Months Ago

you all are experts on Flash!
Thanks for your effort!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts