thumnails of flash SWF items, need URGENT help

• doooh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • doooh
  • Loc: Italy (Banana Republic)

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi, i am using adobe studio cs3 (flash dreamweaver photoshop ecc...) to develop a humor website and i have a page where i want to put all my flash videos. How can i put 100 or more thumbnails of the flash items in a way to just click on the thumbnails to open it on another page in the website. I would also like to know if there is any automatic way to do this without having to create manually 100 pages, using a template of the page that i already have. thanks
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

are you familiar with any scripting languages?

does your hosting allow for the use of any?

My suggestion would be to use a database, store the movie width/height/source

then use a template page, pass the Id to the page and pull the movie from the database. then you would only need 1 index page (containing all thumbnails), and a template/flash file holder page.
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

The return of Nucleo. Welcome back to the land of the living. I was beginning to think you moved to another planet.

Oh yah, what Nucleo said, I agree. Sounds like it should work.
  • dhonsvick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dhonsvick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well flash itself wll do little more than simply display a squished version of the original picture. If you have a PHP enables Server you could use

http://phpthumb.sourceforge.net/

ColdFusion I like JpegResize

http://www.chestysoft.com/jpegresize/default.asp

All and all when it comes to application development we all have to learn several languages.....and then butcher the ones we speak ;)
  • doooh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • doooh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo wrote:
are you familiar with any scripting languages?

does your hosting allow for the use of any?

My suggestion would be to use a database, store the movie width/height/source

then use a template page, pass the Id to the page and pull the movie from the database. then you would only need 1 index page (containing all thumbnails), and a template/flash file holder page.

hi, i haven't ever used any scripting languages, but i can learn. i don't know if my hosting allows this but i think it should. it's 3ix with control panel X on linux but it's just testing, i'm using it as a subdomain, then when i register it i should use a hosting that allows me to do all i want.
how do i do it? i have a folder with all my images, how do i make a database, and how do i use a php page?
thanks
  • dhonsvick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dhonsvick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well those are question several Books long ;)

However getting you started shouldnt be a problem.

Step1) Go to your and Upload a a file name test.php ...inside the page Add the folowing code:

Code: [ Select ]
<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Open your browser and go to http://pathtoyourdoamin/test.php
It should come back and Give you statistics about PHP on your server

Step 2) And I hate answeres from people that say "RTFM", but there is 1 Book you should buy from "Barnes and Nobel" - PHP 5 in Easy Steps . Cost is about the cost of a Big Mac and a Large Coke - and should have you coding that day. about 100 pages. Lots of Examples and Pretty pictures. I recommend that series as a primer for any language.

[/code]
  • doooh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • doooh

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi, i created the php file and it gives me a ten page list full of data i don't understand. i don't want a book about php, because i just need to know how to put a few flash files and pictures and the book would probably be too long. is there any other way i can do a database? maybe with dreamweaver? or do i have to download coldfusion?
  • dhonsvick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dhonsvick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well good news is your server supports PHP bad news is you wont use it ;p

You could always Cheese the Thumbnail resize in flash and simply resize the original.

use the loadClip method as outlined in flash help.
Then on the onInit or onComplete listener add the myPicInstance._width = 100; and myPicInstance._width = 150;

cheesy but effective
  • doooh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • doooh

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah is there any automatic way of doing this? i have more than 1000 files and can't do all of them by hand
  • dhonsvick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dhonsvick

Post 3+ Months Ago

for the mechanical resize of images outside of server side scripting you could use software such as ThumbsPlus which can make batch jobs to create thumbnails. But it cant be done through flash at all.

It's a matter of picking the right tool for the job and the difference between what flash is and is not.

ThumbsPlus will make the thumbnails on your windows machine but will not bring them into flash you will have to write some code to tell the difference.

Easiest way to do this is to have a file naming nomenclature such as if the Original file is name picture.jpg you should be able to count on the fact that the thumbnail is named sm_picture.jpg

How you manage your pictures is upto you, I would suggest keeping a resident XML file with the data.

Code: [ Select ]

<pictures>
  <image>
       <original>picture1.jpg</original>
       <thumb>sm_picture1.jpg</thumb>
  <image>
  <image>
       <original>picture2.jpg</original>
       <thumb>sm_picture2.jpg</thumb>
  <image>
</pictures>
  1. <pictures>
  2.   <image>
  3.        <original>picture1.jpg</original>
  4.        <thumb>sm_picture1.jpg</thumb>
  5.   <image>
  6.   <image>
  7.        <original>picture2.jpg</original>
  8.        <thumb>sm_picture2.jpg</thumb>
  9.   <image>
  10. </pictures>

You can use flash to connect to this file and parse it out into flash, you can also add to this file in notepad to add images as you upload them to your server. There is a great example for this in the help docs of Flash as to how to use the XML file.

Sample is pretty easy.
  • doooh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • doooh

Post 3+ Months Ago

is there any easier way for me since i don't know how to do this or at least a short guide to learn?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts