My turn for a question....[Graphic Development]

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK you flash maniacs, have a question of graphic development in Flash for you fine folks.

I have not toyed with Flash in many years, and even then it was rudimentary at best -- in as much as graphic creation goes.

My question is this; what do you folks use to create the graphics you use in your flash documents? Not so much boxes or buttons, but cartoon-like graphics?
Marketing asked if we could make a "big red button" for some auto-allocation project we are working with and of course in a team meeting I joked about a nice flash document which, when an actual "big red button" was pushed you would see cartoon-like images of servers migrating from one position, to another. I think I can remember (READ: bone up) on how to make everything else work, and writing some code to interact with the autonomic systems in place should be easy enough. The tough part for me has always been making actual cartoon-y graphics. I was wondering if perhaps people used a product like Adobe Illustrator to fabricate the vector images and then imported them into flash?

Thanks in advance for any tips/tricks you can proffer.

Cheers!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flash.

===============================================
Yup. One word. The best way to make graphics to be used in Flash
is Flash itself...
===============================================
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh and about tips, tricks or such:
http://www.worldkit.com/wk.asp
http://www.worldkit.com/wk_downloads.asp
http://www.worldkit.com/wk_thewkteam.asp

I also some of those on flashkit.com and actionscript.org... for free of course!
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Illustrator all the time for vector capabilities that Flash just doesn't have...yet. Having said that, you can achieve quite a bit in Flash alone. Here's an example of a cartoon character made completely in Flash;
[flash width=600 height=400 loop=true]http://www.chriscarney.com/cleanMe/grimies/bizzy_test.swf[/flash]

The trick to doing something like this is layering. Every component of the character is made from symbols (the head, the body sections, the hands, etc.). Each symbol is composed of several layers that take advantage of gradients, transparencies, masks, etc. If you'd like to take a look at the FLA, just PM and me.

This character was created by a very talented artist that I was quite priveledged to work with ( http://www.aaronjasinski.com/ ). I recreated the character and did all the animation in Flash. The character was originally created in Illustrator.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the tips Abelis, I will check those sites out as soon as I am able. (man, it sucks being a noob at something. :) )

Wow DM, that is pretty sweet. That's exactly the sort of thing I need; cartoon-y image of a server going in for overhaul. Actually, a copy of the fla would be a great reference, and very much appreciated.

Any way in which I could repay that kindness, feel free to ask; I will do what I can. :)

Thanks again.

I'll PM you with a valid e-mail address.

Cheers!
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

does that swf have a transparency on it?
i mean the canvas... or if it just because the canvas is the same colour as the boards lol
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just wanted to take the opportunity to thank dM publicly for all the private assistance he has offered. That .fla was a real eye-opener, and provided me some valuable pointers on where to go from here.

Thanks again dM.

Cheers.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo wrote:
does that swf have a transparency on it?
i mean the canvas... or if it just because the canvas is the same colour as the boards lol

Nope. I was kind of surprised by the background. The background in the original was green. I have to assume that using the BBCode Flash tags implies a wmode of transparent by default.

Daemonguy wrote:
Just wanted to take the opportunity to thank dM publicly for all the private assistance he has offered. That .fla was a real eye-opener, and provided me some valuable pointers on where to go from here.

Thanks again dM.

Cheers.

Thank you for the kind words. You are certainly welcome sir and I wish you great success with your project.
:thumbsup:
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting, the background thingy... :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts