website too slow

• 7lorac
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • 7lorac
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I made a website all in flash. The website has a preloader. the problem is that it takes kinda long for it to load. Is there a way for the movie to be loaded faster? Also, since the website is one flash swf, and not mulitiple html pages, the back button in internet explorer (or any browser) takes the viewer to the previous website. I want it to that the back button in internet explorer goes to the first frame. Is there a way to do this? Thanks!!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

first off, the good news...
there are various ways to make a flash doc load faster...
if you do a google search can find more, but a few i make use of are:

if you have similar objects in your movie, just make one, convert it to a graphic and reuse that graphic over and over again transforming it to whatever size you want... that way the flash doc only has to keep track of one 'box' shape for example.

in your publish settings (file>publish settings), you can toy with the resolution of your images within the flash doc... drop it to the lowest point where they still look good.

the key, really, to fast-loading flash is to make everything modular and use the same movieclips or graphics or buttons over and over again with minor adjustments... the heaviest part of a flash doc is all of the images it has to load... having really extensive code to tell it how to size those images, etc. is really light-weight compared to having 16 star shapes in one doc...

cool?

numba two, if you figure out how to reassign values to the browser's forward and back buttons, please call me, that'd be great... i'm sure you could sell that code to several designers and firms, too... even macromedia'd be interested.
unfortunately, i don't think anyone's figured that one out yet an that's one of the major drawbacks to flash... you can't bookmark specific pages and the browser buttons don't work...

hope this was helpful...

peace.

ps. if it's taking your preloader a while to load, that's another issue, please respond if that's the case.
  • morphine
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • morphine
  • Loc: Pennslyvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

try to optimize the flash if ya know how to.
  • 7lorac
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • 7lorac
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do you optimize Flash? Thanks!
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

check out my post above... except for the part on browser buttons, 'cos you got that worked out... more or less...

really, that's the situation... if you have images, you can control, in the publish settings menu, how crisp they are (the less crisp, the faster loading) and if you recycle art in your doc, it makes it load faster...

also, check this out as far as preloaders go:
http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Tips_ ... /index.php
  • 4NNie
  • 4NNie

Post 3+ Months Ago

YOu can check actionscript.org Tutorials section has a tutorial about the browser back button in flash.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts