Why do I get a margin around my site when I publish?

• FlyHigh5

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have developed my site in AS3/ CS3, and when I publish I get extra margin around my site. It's not even centered!!! My background is the exact size as my stage, and in development when I test my site, it's perfect. What happens when I publish? Why do I get the extra margin, when the html is run??? ... and it has to do with my stage, since I can control the color on the properties panel, but not the size!!!!??? Please help!!! I really need to get my site up.

I thought of using match content in the properties panel of the stage, but I still have problem. Some of my animations start outside of the stage and this does not solve my problem either!!! :(

Thanks much.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• soul2skin
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok so it would seem the problem might be in your publishing settings, as for centering it when you publish to html after the head use a
<div align="center" width="100%">
and dont forget the </div> also put your meta's in the html page!
  • zhaojany
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

As soul2skin said , you need to modify your html docment. not the problem with the flash file .
  • FlyHigh5

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the respond. Appreciate it!!

But now I'm having problem with my Meta data. I have added meta tags for "Description" and "Keywords" and none of them happen to appear on Google search. What I get instead is the following:

[FLASH][WWW(dot)mywebsite(dot)com/flash_detection(dot)swf?flashContent... as my Title and

File Format: Shockwave Flash
as my Description.

When I go to http://www(dot)google(dot)com/sitesearch/ and enter my URL, and in the Query, enter the Keywords that I have entered as my meta tag in my html, it does not find my site. So basically none of the meta tags work.

Could you please let me know how to successfully add my site to search engines?

I have searched the internet, and what I'm doing seem to be right, but I have also come across articles that developing a website completely in Flash is a no no, because the search engines are not able to crawl them. Could you please demystify this for me? Am I doomed now that I have my website completely developed in Flash?
I have seen Flash sites that have their Title and Description properly displayed on Google search and they are searchable using different keywords.

Thanks for your time.
  • FlyHigh5

Post 3+ Months Ago

One other note:

I am putting my meta tags in the <head> section of the HTLM file, under the line:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

Here's an example:
<title>My website developed in Flash</title>
<meta name="Description" content="This is the description of my site" />
<meta name="keywords" content="great site, easy to find, searchable, friendly" />

Do I need to keep the line
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
or should I delete it?

What is wrong with my meta tags?

Thanks in advance.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

search engine web crawlers CANNOT access any of the content inside a swf. There have been several attempts from Google, but as of right now think of a swf just like an image file. You could have an image with a paragraph of text inside and Google wouldn't read that. Basically the same is true of Flash. The reason your site isn't appearing correctly in the search engines is that they want MORE than meta data. They want actual HTML content on the page.

Most sites that get around this problem do so by having duplicate content. Basically the HTML page contains content and then content is replaced with Flash once the page determines that the player is available. Most people use something like the SWFObject to do that detect.

Some people even go as far as to have Flash read the underlying page HTML and then parse that as content within the swf. This works quite well if have a really dynamic website.

In any of those cases the search engines are reading the underlying content and remain oblivious to the fact that the flash even exists. As a general rule of thumb, if you want your site searchable, easily updatable or to work on an iPhone its wise to stay away from Flash.

And YES you should keep the line of Meta data where it is. That helps your browser understand what to do with the page.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts