1984?

• Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7409593.stm

I've never been convinced by the so-called "war on terror" and this does seem like a step to far. At which point do we draw a line :?:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is actually pretty crazy ... it's the big-brother effect (that's what I call it anyway) ...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Damn, I thought this thread was going to be a discussion about the book.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

What makes you believe information like this isn't collected already ?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have actually thought about this a lot ... the difficulty for a "big" place like a government or similar to get this type of information is so small, I think they probably already do it ... I wouldn't know ...
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
What makes you believe information like this isn't collected already ?

A lot of it probably is being collected in a covert manner but I (personally) am not about to endorse it as being "OK by me!". It's not that easy to collate. It would require a lot of hardware connectivity and cooperation. I highly doubt they currently get all electronic data they want.

Quote:

:lol: sorry Spork. Although the book bored me to death anyway, much preferred Animal Farm.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

In a lot of ways this is like the patriot act that we have here in the states. I have mixed emotions on this kind of thing, if it is going to help catch the bad guys then go for it, but I want my privacy so I don't necessarily like it. It's kind of a compromise, you have to sacrifice a little bit to get some back.

If you want a good read, there is a book called The Turner Diaries. It is one of those books that if you are an American and you buy it or get it from the library, the feds will make note of that and keep you in one of their databases. It's about a bunch of neo-nazi racists that do a violent over throw of the government and seize a bunch of nuclear weapons and use them and stuff. The book was written in the late 70s or early 80s, and the scary part is stuff that happens in the book is currently happening like the idea of a national ID card that all citizens will end up having to have just to get inside places like grocery stores and stuff, and different gun kinds of gun laws and government surveillance and stuff. But perhaps even more scary is that Timothy McVeigh used a chapter of that book to help plan his attack on that building in Oklahoma City. If racism is a real touchy subject for you, you may not want read this because the author is obviously very involved with what he writes about.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find it funny when people complain about information been recorded from us without us knowing yet people are very happy to freely upload anything about ourselves on profile sites like Facebook.

I understand why it would be frustrating having all these calls and emails recorded, however i'm past the stage of caring. Our society has allowed us all to be so overly protective of the information that we have and when someone shows some sign of keeping a copy of it we all take a hissyfit.

I can't remember the statistics, but there is a crap load of emails being sent every second within the UK, i'd imagine it's the same with phone calls too. The vast majority will be nothing exciting, heck i'd even imagine that a huge chunk of the emails that are being sent are these "send on to 30 people or you will die!!" type emails.

If someone does actually sift through each and every one of the emails being sent i can't imagine there would be enough people anywhere to actually go through each and every one to see if someone is doing something they shouldn't be.

Besides, i don't see how anyone here should be concerned about this because it shouldn't affect you unless you are up to something you shouldn't be. If someone does sift through and comes across your email and sees something they like unless it's criminal they can't do anything with it, i'm sure there would be some law preventing this.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:

That would've been cool. I was actually hoping it was going to be about the Van Halen album...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
If someone does actually sift through each and every one of the emails being sent i can't imagine there would be enough people anywhere to actually go through each and every one to see if someone is doing something they shouldn't be.

This is one of the few places where spam emails are actually good, your wanted emails can basically hide right out in plain sight.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=6149

Quote:
41% of the largest companies surveyed (those with 20,000 or more employees) reported that they employ staff to read or otherwise analyze the contents of outbound e-mail. 22% of these companies said they employ staff primarily or exclusively for this purpose.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally dun mind having my calls recorded. If that can help prevent crimes or anything crazy to the world.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is crazy. I mean very crazy. Have you heard of FISA? I bet they already do that.

America is going too far (Or is it United Kingdom)? Anyway, if it IS the United Kingdom than America has being already doing it for about 30 years (Since 1978). Where is that fine line? Probably miles behind and people already forgotten about it.

I wouldn't want a CD of my sensitive information somewhere out there in the hands of ... maniacs :?:

The government is going TOO far trying to prevent terrorism... More likely, they are provoking it
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I kind of agree with Bogey on that. It's good that they are trying to stop terrorism, but it is kind of giving them a bit of a big ego. That book I mentioned earlier, there is a part in the first couple of pages that makes a whole lot of sense:
Quote:
"As long as the government is able to keep the economy somehow gasping and wheezing along, the people can be conditioned to accept any outrage."

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts