2006 Chevy Cobalt Coupe

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got a 2006 Chevy Cobalt 2 Door Coupe... the cheapest in it's model.

The problem I have with it is that the keys sometimes get stuck in the ignition for no reason. My gear is on Park, I have a working battery installed and still no go. The keys just don't want to get away from the ignition.

I'm thinking of contacting a dealer and see if a dealer would be able to fix it, but prior to that, I want to see if I can at least have an idea of what's going on.

So far, what Google gave me, is that the gear stick (the thing you use to change between gears) has some pin that flips a switch when it goes to and from the Parking gear. The switch either locks or unlocked the key in the ignition. So you wouldn't be able to take the keys off when you are on Reverse, Neutral, Driving or any other gears but Parking.

Anyone had the same problem with this car? What should I do? Thank you.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is a bar that is connected to the linkage on the side of the transmission that goes up in front of the firewall. That's what locks the ignition when the car is in park.

Spray the linkage and the top of the bar where it connects to the steering column with CRC or WD40. If that doesn't help, the next time it happens, open the hood and pull the bar up by hand. There might be a rubber bushing that is worn and needs to be replaced.

Also look for loose nuts on the linkage.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spray it with what? Thanks for the reply Don. Really appreciate it.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your not completly in Park, the kep won't come out. (automatics only)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
If your not completly in Park, the kep won't come out. (automatics only)

Yeah, I know. I checked the stick and made sure the little knob at the end that you have to push so the stick will move clicks and sticks out. I tried moving the stick back and forth without touching that knob and the stick wouldn't move more than a centimeter. It's at park.

This car is my second car and much better then my first car and it's a little disappointing when the key doesn't come out :( Oh well, hope Don is right.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

CRC and WD40 are lubricating and rust removal sprays. Anything similar will do. Don't forget to look for loose nuts and worn bushings.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright. Thanks Don. That really helps. I will do that the next time I get the chance :D
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just googled the car as we don't have them over here. Nice looking vehicle.

Whilst i enjoyed driving an automatic when i lived in Australia, i'd much prefer Manual. I've owned 4 cars that are in manual and that is the most common transmission you get here in the UK.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it a 2005 or 2006? i ask because i noticed in the "US to UK" thread that it was a 2005.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

2006 Confused myself a little bit :oops:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts