$640 million lotto ticket

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

So America, have you bought your lotto ticket?

That's some staggering amount of money to be won.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

We bought $25 worth, so I should have $640 million after tonight.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, wasn't my tickets, bought 4 and not a single number on any of them.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
We bought $25 worth, so I should have $640 million after tonight.

I assume because you are online right now that you did not win the $640 million? It's that or you're finding Ozzu as your piece of haven before the madness of the media comes when they find out who you are.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL, we won $10 bucks. Still a loss, but at least we got something back. We got 2 numbers and the powerball. Far from the 640 million though.

I heard that there were three winners.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow. Imagine winning $213 million.

I am sure this is a conversation everyone has had alot, but if you were one of the winners and had $213 million, what would you do with it?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

First I would payoff personal debts, family debts, close friends debts. Second I would invest a large portion of it in something safe but with a high yield and live off the interest. If I got a reasonable 1.5% interest off of 200 million that would be 3 million a year I would make -- that is plenty to live off of! 3rd Ozzu would get some major upgrades and a paid staff, and 4th some would be donated to charity =)

What would you do?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

I've thought about this alot for a very long time and every time i think about it my priorities change. At one point i had it down to the very moment i came into a significant sum of money.

I'm very much thinking along the lines of you, minus the Ozzu part of course. In terms of material purchases, i'd most likely buy a few houses in various parts of the world. One would be in my home country, the other would be in New Zealand, possibly one in Australia and i may buy elsewhere in Europe or Canada. I thought about whether i'd like to do alot more travelling, but at the moment in time whilst i love to travel i wouldn't take a year out doing it for the sake of doing it. I'm quite keen on settling down a bit, so the money would be great for that.

I was reading about the winners of the lotto last night and discovered that there are two ways in which you can take the money. One is you recieve a smaller sum immediately (and likely get hit with a big bit of tax at same time) and the other is you take 26 yearly payments. Before tax i worked that out as approx $8 million a year. If i was faced with the option, as tempting as it might be to take the large sum immediately, the thought of having a guaranteed income of $8 million for the next 26 years would probably sway me towards that option instead.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

100mill in 5yr CD (gaining ~5.2mill on turn-around)
100mill in savings account (gaining ~1mill in APY)

Use the other 13mill left over to spend the first year and have some fun. After that, live off the interest of the savings account, with a small bonus of 5.2million every 5 years.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could do rolling CDs as well. So if you wanted to do five year CDs, then every year you could put 1/5 of the money in there and that way every year after five years you will get a portion paid to you. That way you don't have to wait every five years. You could even break that down further if you wanted money coming back monthly, etc.

With that much money though it probably really doesn't matter as every five years with the 5.2 million bonus you probably would be able to easily make that last another five years.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know the powerball pays about %60 if you take the cash option, so using that standard against the 3 winners of $640 million, that means $212 million per-winner which puts %60 at $128 million cash.

If I were to put $128 million in savings accounts at 1% interest that would work out to $1.28 million in interest per year. After 26 years I would have spent $33.28 million and still have $128 million in the bank.

If I were to take $212 million in 26 payments, that would work out to $8.15 million per year. If I took $1.28 million out of that to live on every year and put the remaining $6.87 million in the bank every year, I'd have spent the same $33.28 million over 26 years but I would have $178 million in the bank after 26 years. Assuming the accounts weren't collecting any interest at all.

I need to know whether the cash option already has taxes taken out, and how much the taxes on the 26 yearly payments would be first of all.

I'd also need to know whether the remaining payments of lottery winnings can be willed to someone if I should die before the entire jackpot was paid.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am fairly sure that when you take the cash option, that has not counted any federal taxes taken out yet.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I had $640M, I'd buy you a fur coat (but not a real fur coat, that's cruel).

But seriously, I'd pay off my student loans, quit my job, and start a company. And open up a brewery.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
If I had $640M, I'd buy you a fur coat (but not a real fur coat, that's cruel).

You wouldn't buy some Dijon mustard? whatever Dijon mustard is.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Claim it anonymously. Finally move to Oregon or Washington. Buy a small house. Keep my SUV. Keep running my company(obviously put a lot more cash into it). Go fishing frequently.

Throw the other $639m in the bank.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd drive over the WA SR-520 bridge everyday and pay the full toll instead of the GoodToGo reduced rate.

Just because I can.

Watch out ladies, badass coming through. 8)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL. I haven't been on the floating bridge since they introduced that. Do they do that at all times, or just during rush hours? Is there less traffic too as compared to before? Do most people go around the long way or pay the tolls?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's always a toll, but it varies depending on the time of day. During rush hour it's pretty expensive, something like $5.35 each way.

The traffic has definitely gone down though; consequently the bus routes and MS connectors have seen a huge increase in ridership. Thankfully I have recurring reservations from before the tolls started, so I rarely drive anymore.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts