Does a radar detector need to be mounted on windshield?

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a question about radar detectors... It has to be mounted on the windshield to be able to detect the radar/laser? Or can it be anywhere in the car and not necessarily on the windshield?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am sure the signal can come from inside the car like in the dashboard but i am sure it detects a frequency of signal from the radar and then beeps so as long as the signal can get through the car parts which should be fine in most cases.

i am sure there is fitting instructions that come with it.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Needs to be mounted by a window. The radar will not pass through metal. If you have window tint that contains metal in it, it will diminish the detectors ability to pickup radar significantly(often to the point of it not mattering anymore).

Other important thing to note: vast majority of police departments now use LIDAR. LIDAR uses a laser to detect how quickly the vehicle is moving. Advantage with this is it can't be picked up by detectors if its pointed at another vehicle(like radar can). Second advantage is it is capable of reading a vehicles speed in under 1 second. This means a radar detector(if it can pick up LIDAR) will not be helpful as by the time the system beeps at you, the cop already has taken down your speed. Only way to avoid this is to use a Laser Defuser.

The defusers/jammers are illegal in the following states:
Arizona
California
Colorado
Illinois
Minnesota
Montana
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oregon
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Washington D.C.

Radar Detectors(Non-Jammers/Defusers) are illegal in 2 places:
Virginia
Washington D.C.

Both detectors and defusers are illegal on all military bases. It is illegal for any vehicle over 18,000lbs to operate a radar detector or defuser. It is illegal in a vehicle over 10,000lbs in the following states:
Illinois
New York
New Jersey

Having them mounted to your windshield is illegal in the following states(but legal to own an operate):
California
Minnesota

Hope this helps.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts