Absolute favorite Software

  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 712
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

darksat wrote:
Sygate is more stable and there are new trojans can disable zone alarm and another popular brand.
Sygate runs better faster sleeker and is a fair bit more advanced.
Statefull monitoring and no buffer overflow vulnerabilities.


I would question all of that. ZoneAlarm is great software, I used it for years without any trouble. Sygate is more stable? Don't see how it can be, ZA never had any problems. "trojans can disable zone alarm and another popular brand"? Don't be absurd, where did you read such information?
"Sygate runs better faster sleeker and is a fair bit more advanced." a meaningless statement, it's a firewall, they do a relatively simple job, how can it be more advanced?
"Statefull monitoring and no buffer overflow vulnerabilities." Do you even know what that means?

I used to use ZoneAlarm, but now we have a D-Link router I don't need it. Only trouble is it doesn't place nicely with BitTorrent, setting up ports to forward/block individually is a pain.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1038
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.download.com/Sygate-Personal ... ag=lst-0-1

83% thumbs up (most down ones are by ZOne alarm lovers trying to make it look bad)


http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm/3000- ... ag=lst-0-4
66% up.

Sygate wins, the people have spoken! :)
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 487
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is quite easy to get a trojan to install a reg key that prevents zone alarm running at startup.
Next time you call something absurd please refrain from commenting on something you have very little knowledge about.
as for disabeling a firewall.
non statefull firewalls can be shut down by flooding them with ack packets, where as statefull firewalls have an inbuilt memory that records all outgoing Syn packets and only accepts ack packets if they match up the Ip for the SYn packets.
but i guess thats a bit technical for newbies.


---------------------------------------------------------





Zone Labs SMTP Processing Vulnerability

Overview: A security vulnerability exists in specific versions of ZoneAlarm®, ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm Plus and the Zone Labs Integrity™ client. This vulnerability is caused by an unchecked buffer in Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) processing which could lead to a buffer overflow. In order to exploit the vulnerability without user assistance, the target system must be operating as an SMTP server. Zone Labs does not recommend using our client security products to protect servers.


-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sygate.com/alerts/Backdoor_Acebot_Trojan.htm

A Trojan variant, named BackDoor-ABN, has been observed by Sygate’s security testing lab. The Trojan attempts to disable several popular personal firewalls including Zone Alarm, Tiny Personal Firewall, and Sygate Personal Firewall before establishing a connection to the client component of the Trojan. The BackDoor-ABN Trojan attempts to disable the Sygate Personal Firewall user interface but does not affect the security engine, meaning that the security settings and policies that were in place at the time that the Trojan was executed will remain intact. If Sygate Personal Firewall is configured to block unsolicited outbound application communication (default configuration), then the Trojan will be blocked from establishing outbound communication and gaining control of the system


----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cyberguard.com/snapgear/faqo ... he/31.html


What is a "Stateful Firewall"
Assuming that you already know what a Firewall is (see the FAQ entry on Firewalls) then read on. A normal Firewall is "stateless" because it has no memory of context for connection states. Each connection through it is a new connection. Now a "stateful" firewall remembers the context of connections and continuously updates this state information in dynamic connection tables. This can be a very good thing because a hacker trying to gain access through a firewall has less chance of forging entry as part of a valid series of connections because the context shows that the additional connection does not make sense in the context of the legitimate user.
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 487
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is also a good link
http://www.netcore.co.in/firewall.html

I suggest you read it dyefade.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 712
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

FFS... why do I always fall for this bait...

darksat wrote:
It is quite easy to get a trojan to install a reg key that prevents zone alarm running at startup.

It's easy to do that FOR ANY software. That's a misleading statement, and one which weakens your argument.
darksat wrote:
slightly patronising blah

darksat wrote:
Zone Labs SMTP Processing Vulnerability

Overview: A security vulnerability exists in specific versions of ZoneAlarm®, ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm Plus and the Zone Labs Integrity™ client. This vulnerability is caused by an unchecked buffer in Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) processing which could lead to a buffer overflow. In order to exploit the vulnerability without user assistance, the target system must be operating as an SMTP server. Zone Labs does not recommend using our client security products to protect servers.

I never had this problem, and I would suggest that the final statements would explain why. You must be running an SMTP server. Right, so that includes how many people? Most of those will be running Linux , and will be using other Firewall software.

darksat wrote:
http://www.sygate.com/alerts/Backdoor_Acebot_Trojan.htm

A Trojan variant, named BackDoor-ABN, has been observed by Sygate’s security testing lab. The Trojan attempts to disable several popular personal firewalls including Zone Alarm, Tiny Personal Firewall, and Sygate Personal Firewall before establishing a connection to the client component of the Trojan. The BackDoor-ABN Trojan attempts to disable the Sygate Personal Firewall user interface but does not affect the security engine, meaning that the security settings and policies that were in place at the time that the Trojan was executed will remain intact. If Sygate Personal Firewall is configured to block unsolicited outbound application communication (default configuration), then the Trojan will be blocked from establishing outbound communication and gaining control of the system

That last sentence is true OF ANY firewall though! You misread this (nb, easily done as it is hyperbole FROM Sygate). The Paragraph implies that Sygate is less vulnerable than others, THAT ISN'T TRUE, because they're all set up to behave that way (I assume, it's a while since I used a software firewall, if that's not the case, it's no problem to set it up in the correct way.)


darksat wrote:
What is a "Stateful Firewall"
Assuming that you already know what a Firewall is (see the FAQ entry on Firewalls) then read on. A normal Firewall is "stateless" because it has no memory of context for connection states. Each connection through it is a new connection. Now a "stateful" firewall remembers the context of connections and continuously updates this state information in dynamic connection tables. This can be a very good thing because a hacker trying to gain access through a firewall has less chance of forging entry as part of a valid series of connections because the context shows that the additional connection does not make sense in the context of the legitimate user.

I have not read this, but I will do so. I assume being stateful has the advantages you set out, but they can't be very major, or there would be a surge toward Sygate etc, which there isn't. People (for example me), don't really care about the performance/effeciveness of their firewall. ZoneAlarm worked flawlessly FOR YEARS. The example disadvantages are so minor, I'm not surprised I didn't even know they existed.

Phew! Talk about hijacking a thread!
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 487
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

First you say this
dyefade wrote:
"trojans can disable zone alarm and another popular brand"? Don't be absurd, where did you read such information?


Then this
dyefade wrote:
darksat wrote:
It is quite easy to get a trojan to install a reg key that prevents zone alarm running at startup.

It's easy to do that FOR ANY software. That's a misleading statement, and one which weakens your argument.


Do you even listen to what you are saying.
First you say its absurd for a trojan to be able to disable a firewall and then you say its easy for any piece of software to do that.


dyefade wrote:
I have not read this, but I will do so. I assume being stateful has the advantages you set out, but they can't be very major, or there would be a surge toward Sygate etc, which there isn't. People (for example me), don't really care about the performance/effeciveness of their firewall. ZoneAlarm worked flawlessly FOR YEARS. The example disadvantages are so minor, I'm not surprised I didn't even know they existed.


Actually the advantages of a statefull firewall are very big.
I can stealth scan an entire network through a non statefull firewall, shut it down remotely, or even crash your machine.

zone alarm is ok for newbies because it will stop script kiddies, trojans, viruses and basic scans, a pro however can drive a truck sideways through its holes.
If you ever get on the recieving end of someone with a bit of skill you can kiss your ass goodbye with zone alarm.


As for your comments about STMP server, I was just giving you an example of a buffer overflow, There are at last count about 5 various buffer overflows that work against non statefull firewalls (ON ANY SYSTEM), but I am not going to list them out where anyone can have a look because that would be giving hacking lessons, which I am not about to do.


Please refrain from commenting on something you know very little about.
Thank You, and have a nice day :?
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 712
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

My own contradiction really nulls both our points... fgdfhgb gah!

Will not respond. Lessons learned on slashdot...


My reply:
OK.
  • frans26
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 34
  • Loc: Close to Lao

Post 3+ Months Ago

that sexy macromedia treesome
Dreamweaver
Fireworks
and Flash

but ultra-edit and just notepad are cool too.
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 487
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I prefer adobe, except for flash
Adobe Photoshop <--the original and still the best
Macromedia Flash <--thier best product by far.
adobe Illustrator <--Kicks fireworks ass
Notepad & Skill <--screw WHSIWYG editors
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 591
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

mine would be:
Photoshop
Flash
Outlook
Trillian
AD-Aware
Registry Mech.
Spybot
And last but not least...
iTunes and Quicktime! (iTunes and quicktime kick everyones ass)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2136
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh yeah, i remember reading about that flaw in zone alarm. The free one does have updates, but I am just assuming that the problem was patched. I will have to look into sygate.
  • Daemonguy
  • Moderator
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2700
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm favs.

nmap
nessus
ethereal
etherape
tcpdump
IPFirewall
IPSEC
vi
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2136
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 588

Post 3+ Months Ago

Integrity Messenger
Photoshop
Avant Browser
starcraft
vim

on my start menu the most used software is:
reschange 1024 768 //to get out off starcraft. i have a keyboard shortcut setup to turn it on
Smartftp
notepad
dreamweaver
Morpheus
Adobe Photoshop CS
WinRAR
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 591
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

What version of starcraft do you play SSH? Broodwar or Normal. Whats your bnet name? Mines atidude2010, USEast
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2062

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adobe Auditon <--Probably my favorite of favorites
Adobe Photoshop
Irfanview
VMware
4NT
Winamp
Nero
HTML-KIT

Spybot S&D (Recently started using this one again)
Spywareblaster
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1892
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

UltraEdit
Photoshop
phpMyAdmin
WinSCP
putty
  • statik
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 51
  • Loc: california

Post 3+ Months Ago

aim
msn messenger
gunbound
ebay(not software)
photoshop 8
paint
microsoft WORD(gotta love it :D )
norton antivirus
i have alot
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Posts: 493
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are soo many!

Photoshop CS
Netobjects Fusion 8
SmartFTP
Outlook Express
Firefox
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3245
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

PHPEdit - http://www.phpEdit.net
SharpDevelop - http://www.sharpdevelop.net
ASP.Net Web Matrix - http://www.microsoft.com - some where there
Borland C++ Builder - http://www.borland.com - as above

and the ever handy NOTEPAD!
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 487
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tone2k11 wrote:


Outlook Express


Why god why??
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 487
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
Hmm favs.

nmap
nessus
ethereal
etherape
tcpdump
IPFirewall
IPSEC
vi


8) Now thats Proactive network security :twisted:
  • Daemonguy
  • Moderator
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2700
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forgot a couple;

wi-scan
Airsnort
dachb0den
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Posts: 493
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Quote:
Tone2k11 wrote:


Outlook Express



Why god why??


I just mainly use it for news groups and email. However i have just managed to import all my accounts into outlook, and have just found thunderbird which i have found is an excellent piece of software.
  • kartook
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kartook
  • Posts: 28
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

umm i woudl have to say msn messenger
and aim n yahoo and maybe i
e-explorer are th mainly used ones
but my fav is the tv remote :)nah just kidding

Msn
  • Felix_net
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 136

Post 3+ Months Ago

    SETI@Home (find those aliens)
    Blender3d
    CoffeeCup FTP
    Outlook Express
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 487
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
Forgot a couple;

wi-scan
Airsnort
dachb0den


Cheops
Kismet
Black Angel
Liquid Ice
Saint
Super Snort

Gonna stop now before I get carried away.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just stumbled across this, (exe or compile it yourself)
http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

It's like notepad but with all the things I wish notepad had :D (loads just as fast as notepad too)

This is the best thing since sliced silicon :P
  • nadaness
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • nadaness
  • Posts: 12
  • Loc: tejas

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • notepad
  • fireworks(for coloring, heh)
  • miranda
  • serious samurize
  • key note(with a batch to change *.txt to *.html cause i am too lazy to write a plugin in for it)
  • oh and autocad and microstation cause all other vector programs jsut aren't precise enough for me

oh and flash is fun
  • nadaness
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • nadaness
  • Posts: 12
  • Loc: tejas

Post 3+ Months Ago

oo i forgot one, BK replaceEm
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 66 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.