Abstract art is easy

• camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

So in the last month, I've been taking all my furniture and putting it on Craigslist, then replacing it with different furniture from Craigslist. Just to modernize my house.

But there were 3 paintings that I had trouble selling. Even for $35, they just wouldn't sell. So I went to Home Depot, and got $9 worth of $2.99 paints, grabbed some more colors from the garage, and painted these in about 45 minutes each. I just painted over top of the old canvas that I couldn't sell. I used a 2 inch 99 cent brush, and a mish-mash of floor paints, leftover bedroom paints and black/reds. I bought the red, black and gold from Home Depot, everything else came from left-over garage paints.

I am not an artist and have never taken an art class. I am however one that has always looked at abstract art and said "Even an idiot could paint that". Turns out I was right!!! :-)

Here is the gallery of my paintings
http://www.bodydot.com/gallery-10903-Ab ... -easy.html
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, my mom and I used to do that when I was 6 or 7, on our balcony with cans of wood paint and screwdrivers...... it was great fun, and some of the stuff produced looked pretty neat. I like the red and gold one. you sold any of them yet? :D

art is going insane these days - the whole idea of conceptual art means there's no more need for actual drawing or painting skill - it's all about the 'concept'. except 99% of the time the 'concepts' are sadly cheap and shallow. for a multitude of examples look at the history of the UK Turner Prize for modern art. I think my all-time favourite was the 2001 winner Martin Creed with his work entitled 'Work No.227: The lights going on and off'. Which was - yep, you guessed it - an empty gallery room with its original lights rigged to keep going on and off. An art critic termed it a demonstration of his 'subversive wit'. I call it 'YOU ARE ALL BLOODY MORONS!!!' but hey, who asks me. There's damien hirst making millions with pickled cows.... heh they're bound to rot some day :D
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Art is so subjective. It's basically what's pleasing to your eye and subconscious. So in that respect yes anyone can be an artist by creating art. Making a living off of it and being an artist by trade is a little different.

I actually really like abstract art but do not consider myself an artist. The modern art stuff is a little over my head most of the time and sometimes is just plain ridiculous.

Great pieces though. Really cool works!

Kind of gave me a little DIY motivation.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts