Access other computers in network, possible?

• NonbornAdversary
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it possible to access other users' computers that are in the same network as you?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thru which environment? Windows, Linux, DOS ? There is means to travel in all those OS's. Need to be a little more specific about which one your on and the one your tring to access. And if there is a need for you to access data from other computers on the network.
  • NonbornAdversary
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

The OS in a Windows 2000 edition. All of these are connected in a small network of about 25 computers in one room. Ihaven't been able to Telnet the other computers, but common-sense says that I could probably access them directly considering they are in their own Networking Group/Neighborhood. Thanks
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds to me like they're all in a workgroup/peer-topeer environment. If
that's the case, simply find them in Network Neighborhood and open
the computer. Anything set to be shared will show up there.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, that's the key -- the drives, directories, files, printers, etc have to be shared on any or all computers to be visible from one to the next.

Second part to that is that you probably need to be in the same "workgroup" -- if the network is part of an NT domain (or Win2K domain) you need to be part of that domain. All those settings are made in Network Neighborhood properties.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also have the shares password protected with something more than a simple password (single letters), it doesn't have to be complex. But network aware viruses will spread across shares if they aren't password protected or it will try simple passwords to gain access to another computer on the network. Trust me this will save you time and money in the long run. Enjoy :D
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

good point guys -- kinda ran past those parts. hehe :P
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I only remember because one of our customers had that happen to them, there network was about 20 computers. Spread thru a little complex of about 6 buildings. Me and another guy took about 27 hours to go thru each machine, drop it into safe mode, disconnect it from the network, and run anti virus on them. Once all the PC's were scaned we hooked them all back into the network. Needs less to say they haven't had any problems like that since :( Made a nice little chunk of cash off that one :twisted:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

If memory servers me correctly, you can also Map a drive to the administrative share, for example
Code: [ Select ]
net use g:\\computername\c$

Where c$ is the administrative share for the C: drive
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

net use?! :shock:

don't you mean point-and-click?!?! you old schoolers who type out
everything kill me!! :P :lol:

just kidding....heheheh I do the same when i can. ;) :D
  • NonbornAdversary
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the files/folders have to be enabled for sharing then is there a way for someone to get in the network as the Admin and enable all Drives of he network for sharing?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I understand your question correctly, you have to go to each individual computer and share the drives, directories, files etc that you want shared...from the individual computers. By default, each drive has an "administrative share". That's why I suggested the net use command. You can write a login script for users that would map drives to administrative shares, but that's pretty generic and would allow access to the entire drive, depending on how you set permissions. You need to plan out what you want to do and, unfortunately, you may have to go to several or all computers to get exactly what you want shared correct. Theoretically, that's a task that should be considered and implemented when setting up the workstations from the very start. This would include assigning permissions (assuming they are 2000 or XP workstations)

I'd be curious myself if someone knows an easier method.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

the only way I know how to grant share access, is to sit at each machine
and turn it on. You're granting access locally, so that's really where you
need to be to do so.
  • NonbornAdversary
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry for asking (I've never really concentrated that much on a network before now) but how do you set an individual computer to "share" the C:/ in the Network?
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to My Computer right click on the C:\ drive and then click on sharing. Then an options box will come up, if you are running win2000 or XP there will already be an administrative share. At the bottom of the box there will be a button called "new share" click that one and give it a unique name like "C_mydrive", the reason for the underscore is if there are any win98 computers in the network you have to stick to DOS naming conventions. Also the name length can only be 15 characters long, I think. You can also limit the number of people who access it, with a password in win98, or with permissions in win2000 and XP. Then click apply, and then ok and your done. Enjoy :D
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

windows2000 and XP have a default share for c:\

access it using c$ in your path
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
windows2000 and XP have a default share for c:\

access it using c$ in your path

That is the administrative share, and unless you log in as Administrator I'm pretty sure you can't access the drive. You might be able to use that share as long as you went to that computer logged in as Administrator and changed the permissions on that c$ share to allow your login to acces the share. Enjoy :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

ModernDestroyer is correct.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're using a peer-to-peer network, then you ARE logged in as
administrator.

OR

You spent extra, unecessary time and set up local users for everyone.
  • NonbornAdversary
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

The network I was at is NOT a peer-to-peer, ModernDestroyer's answer was what I was needing, thank you all for being so helpful.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad to be of service :D , I'll send you my bill later :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts