Adobe buys analytics company Omniture for $1.8 billion

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adobe has decided to beef up its presence in the online commerce world by purchasing Omniture, a Web analytics company, for $1.8 billion.

Quote:
Adobe, which is based in San Jose, Calif. said the deal will help it "transform" e-commerce by combining its content creation tools, such as the Web design program Flash, with Omniture's online measurement and optimization technologies.

"This is a game changer for Adobe and its customers," said Shantanu Narayen, chief executive of Adobe, in a statement. "We will enable advertisers, media companies and e-tailers to realize the full value of their digital assets."

Trip Chowdhry, managing director of equity research at Global Equities Research, agreed that the acquisition is a "smart move" on Adobe's part because it may help offset declining revenues from the company's Creative Suite of software. However, he believes Adobe overpaid for Omniture because the company is losing market share to rival Google Analytics.

Source: CNN
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Sledgehammer
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

What on earth can Adobe make with Omniture that they can sell ? :scratchhead:

Analytics built into Dreamweaver ?
Better ways to track Flash ? //this sounds pretty good really
Do they just want to get their hands on that gigantic archive of statistics Omniture has so they can see what their next moves should be ?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wondered the same. I don't get what the intention is. I looked up a few alternative sources, but nobody seems to 'get' what they're up to, they just regurgitate something similar to what CNN had. If they're really hoping to stress the analytics market, I can't believe they would wait so long before they made a move. Google analytics won't be easy to compete with.

If they just wanted the data, why pay so much more than the company is worth? $4 extra per share is pretty far up there, esp. with sums totaling in the billions!
  • joebert
  • Sledgehammer
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm really starting to think it has alot to do with Flash.

One of the main reasons people seem to avoid Flash, other than SEO reasons which are probably number one, is how much of a pain in the ass it is to track anything that happens in Flash.

Silverlight seems to be catching up capability-wise. Having an edge on tracking and reporting couldn't hurt.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flash is still client-side so speaking from tracking things such as e-products,,, well,,, those are in a db. I got tired of Lynx not seeing flash but the data is external so tons of work arounds to reporting for that page/item that is actually displaying the data thru flash. So, yeah, what is their intention? Google analytics is going to be extremely hard to compete with. It'll be interesting to see exactly how hard Adobe is going to make the analytic code to be added into flash. Furthermore, Flash 8 I think added some enhancements that I really haven't myself fully utilized/explored that helped with crawlers recognizing the embedded movie content.

Individual clicks and advertisements could help depending again on how easy this tracking code will be to add. If it's not easier than the workarounds I could try then it's not worth it.
  • joebert
  • Sledgehammer
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Flash is still client-side so speaking from tracking things such as e-products,,, well,,, those are in a db.

You know how Flash video works right? RTMP is a proprietary protocol.
When I say tracking for flash, I envision something like that. Omnitures back-end gives Adobe a jump-start on having something to couple Flash with.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ooooo cool. Actually I wasn't even in that mindset about video but was thinking about tracking things that happen in flash because I do enjoy making complete flash sites and that was a pain seriously without creating my own tracking stats. Anyway, got my wheels turning joebert.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts