Adoption

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was adptopted twice in my life, once at 10 months old and once at 12 years old. I have no knowledge of my biological parents. I was wondering if anyone else here is adopted?

Backstory: Last year my Mom's first husband passed away. A couple of weeks ago a box with a bunch of old stuff found its way to me. Inside, I found some legal paperwork concerning my original adoption. I found out some new stuff that I didn't know about myself before. That's what got me thinking about it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

My aunt Paula (2 years older than my mom) was adopted, and my sister almost put my oldest niece up for adoption but changed her mind at about 6 months of pregnancy, which I think was the right choice to make. This isn't answering you question at all but it's relevent. Adoption is a good thing, because the parents looking for a child to adopt are highly screened by the adoption agencies these days, so you can pretty much be guaranteed that the baby is going to a good family. It's a whole lot more humane and responsible than going out and getting drunk, then getting laid and ending up pregnant and getting an abortion.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
... It's a whole lot more humane and responsible than going out and getting drunk, then getting laid and ending up pregnant and getting an abortion.

I agree on that one there kc0tma. abortion should be called as murder :| Why? Well, isn't it considered as a double murder (well, you kill two people) if you murder a pregnant woman? If so, why does the pregnant woman allowed to kill the living being inside of her?

Well wow I got off subject. Now back to the topic. I wasn't adopted (My whole family is nuclear :D) but I know a family though that consist of father, mother and 3 adopted children who are not related to each other in any way. One of them is even from Asia (or Europe...). That lady adopts and got banned in many forums because she opposed abortion really bad and probably flamed many people who did that :lol:
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have two cousins that were adopted, and one or two of my friends were adopted. Adoption is a great thing in my opinion, I don't really see any downsides to it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Merlyn wrote:
I have two cousins that were adopted, and one or two of my friends were adopted. Adoption is a great thing in my opinion, I don't really see any downsides to it.

*Let's say you adopt a 12 year old and the 12 year old has a really hard time adjusting to his/her new family... can cause heartache or depression...

*=Just saying :)
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's true, I didn't really think of adoption at an age past early childhood. It's probably easier if you are adopted earlier as opposed to later I would think..
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
(My whole family is nuclear :D)

What? ... Awesome!

Anyway ... I've thought about this many times before, I would really like to one day rather adopt a child than "have my own" ... I just think it would be really cool to give someone a chance where it may have been taken away at an early stage ...

And dM, I'm glad that you look at this positively, (so it seems), but there probably were days when you felt pretty bad about the whole situation right? I am not adopted, but I can think that some days it could be pretty painful to deal with something like that ...
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
And dM, I'm glad that you look at this positively, (so it seems), but there probably were days when you felt pretty bad about the whole situation right? I am not adopted, but I can think that some days it could be pretty painful to deal with something like that ...

Oh, I've always looked at it positively. The people who I call Mom and Dad are as much my parents as the people who had 15 minutes of passion and 9 months of pregnancy.

One of the tidbits I discovered recently was my last name, prior to adoption. I've always had very little information about myselft before 10 months old so these little pieces always pique my interest.

//Kind of weird to discover a surname after 39 years. :)
  • Devil_666
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Albany

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of my aunt has decided to adopt me but you wouldn't believe that why didn't she do that just becuase of my weight.

She was feeling severe pain i her hands as and when she was lifting me.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

A year ago, I had this intense desire to adopt a kid. She looks really cute and I loved her alot. Reasons that I can't really support her, so just thinking to let go. Did so, I.

Maybe she really needs a father, her father divorced her mom, and the mom work in another country. She lives in her mom's brother house and the wife is a mean aunt. I don't know what her life would be later in her age, really worried but I can't interfere unless i'm old enough and rich enough to spend that amount of time and energy.

This case, I will say, she's certainly more happy if she's living with an adopted parents who care, and love her. Sometimes, thing happens for a reason, and can be or good or bad.

Based on this story, I have no valid enough premises to say all children should go out, and look for adoption by richer happier family. Real DNA family still plays a psycological part in our life.

Man, i don't know what i'm trying to say now..
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

dM, I thought you might enjou this ... http://explosm.net/comics/1055/
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey dM do you think you'll try find your birth parents?

:)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
hey dM do you think you'll try find your birth parents?

:)

I've tried weakly on and off since I was about 20. No luck though. Apart from my birth mother, and/or father, I'm most interested in my lineage going back to "the old country".

The surname I discovered in the legal paperwork was Moriorty, a variation of Moriarty and Moriarte. It seems to be Celtic in nature but doesn't really appear to be well rooted anywhere in particular.

lol @ r_t
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really hope you find out! My best friend was adopted at birth, she met her birth mother when she was an adult. It was an interesting journey for her.

Join the genealogy sites and see how you go :thumbsup:
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wasn't adopted, but I can identify. My dad was adopted and my mother's mother was adopted, so I've always wondered what my real last name would be and what my roots are. I've tried to find this stuff out before, but have come up blank every time.

Anyway, that's really cool that some of the pieces are coming together for you. Good luck and happy investigating dM!

//By the way, I dig the latest avatar. Every time I eat a bowl of lentil soup an image of Neil pops into my head.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

jameson5555 wrote:
//By the way, I dig the latest avatar. Every time I eat a bowl of lentil soup an image of Neil pops into my head.

Ha! The avatar is Rrrriiiiick(as said by the character Neil). I doubt there are too many of us old enough to remember The Young Ones. :P
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

The person in the avatar looks exactly like one of my friends :lol:
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
I doubt there are too many of us old enough to remember The Young Ones. :P

That show was crazy! I used to watch reruns of it on MTV when I was a kid. I always liked the guy with the stars stapled to his forehead, too..

How about the episode where Neil thinks he's pregnant, but it turns out to just be gas. :lol:
  • jv17
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jv17
  • Loc: Miami

Post 3+ Months Ago

that's a sad story.. i feel you..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts