Voting Chart

Total votes : 11

What do you prefer, Agoracart or osCommerce?

•  
    Agoracart
  •  
    osCommerce
  •  
    Neither (please post what you like to use)

AgoraCart or osCommerce?

• natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV (blech!)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,

I have to make another e-commerce website for someone and last time I used AgoraCart, but now I'm wondering if I should use os Commerce for this one. What are you opinions? How easy/difficult is it to set up? I know that OsCommerce needs a MySQL database, and Agoracart doesn't, but other thn that, I don't see alot of differences as far as functionality goes. OsCommerce seems to look more professional, though.

Anyway, I'm interested to know what you all prefer.

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• David
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • David

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've heard and once used: OSCommerance i find it one of the best online shopping scripts.
Theres also some addons in Fantastico which is in cPanel, which are great.

Hope that helps...

David.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

osCommerce, no question! :)

I've used it with several clients, and they're all extremely happ with the results - and it can be customized beyond your wildest dreams :)
  • natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about complex shipping? This client wants all sorts of weird shipping options with different weights and different carriers and everything. Is it easy to edit? I've never used it and don't want to have to use alot of time learning everything. :wink:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can add multiple shippers...

One problem I'm facing at the moment with a client, is that he has a REALLY funky shipping setup...

Some of his "products" are live (reptiles & live insect feeders), which MUST be shipped overnight.

Some of his products are merely "product", which can be shipped regular ground.

In order to only allow overnight shipping when a live organism is placed in the cart, he must currently have two stores.

One for live, with overnight shipping only, and one for product, which offers the full range from ground to overnight.

Both sites offer their particular methods with 4 different shipping companies (USPS, UPS, FedEx, Airborne Express).
  • natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Axe, you're awesome! I'll be donating some points to ya, even though I don't know if you use them or not. :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey thanks :)

If you need any help with osCommerce, feel free to post, and I'll be happy to do what I can :)

It really is a great system.. It can take a while to get really into it, especially if you're not too good with PHP yet, but once you do get into it, you'll love it :)
  • natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, I'll probably be asking you lots of stuff, no worries about that! Thanks again!
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was going to post the same questions sometime lmao!!! lol
thanks angel lol

well, i was going to make a website to sell premade gaming clan templates

and i had the choice of osCommerce, Agoracart and Interchange Shopping Cart

now i would like to have it set up with a paypal account or something lol, something so i can have them buy the template, then allow then to download it automaticly...
i am guessing osCommernce..

just gotta install it and play around i guess
  • natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah I've been meaning to ask for about a week now... :roll: glad I wasn't the only one with the question! You're welcome!
  • BubbaGum
  • Loc: Colorado USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I find AgoraCart better for most ecommerce situations.

it too is flexible beyond your "wildest dreams" plus it is more secure. oscommerce seems to be more for lemmings. It does have it's strengths, however for smaller stores (under 3,000 items) it is a better application, atleast until they produce it in mySQL or another similar database platform. AgoraCart has a steeper lerning curve, but for those that can wade thru it, it's better in most cases than oscommerce.

I migrated from oscommerce to AgoraCart for the majority of my customers as I found numerous security flaws with oscommerce, but that lends itself mostly to php applications on common server setups.

just my two cents in the shopping cart arena.

BubbaGum
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

where are the osCommerce insecurities you mentioned? Have you announced them anywhere? stating the problems and potential solutions?
  • BubbaGum

Post 3+ Months Ago

nope. I just moved on as I was not interested in fixing it or running/porting it in a "cgi" to make it more secure. Discussing a program's vulnerabilities in the open is not something I like to do as the so called "security sites" latch upon such things and post it primarily for cracking communities/networks to run out and exploit without users having a chance to "fix".

All I will say is this: know your customer and double check orders. That is sound advice for any company though, no matter the ecommerce and/or payment system you use.

Anyway, just wanted to make sure AgoraCart had a fair shot in such a discussion as I have used both intensively. I have seen many experienced users migrating over to AgoraCart, unless they prefer coding in php primarily (or don't understand perl/cgi and it's full capabilities for the less informed), or just don't have the time to learn. But not looking to get into that discussion (old hat) ... all coding languages have their strengths and weaknesses.

But I know the keeper of the code of the AgoraCart project is working on taking AgoraCart from a more advanced user level to a more "newbie" friendly level. I think that is the primary weakness in AgoraCart... it has a steep learning curve and is not for users that just want to launch a site instantly or with little effort or initiative (nor for those users needing more than say 3,000 items in a store)

BubbaGum
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, and the so-called "osCommerce Development Team" can fix the holes and apply patches :)

They're not Micro$oft. They don't have an army of staff to bug-test. It's OpenSource, and just like any OpenSource project, it relies upon those using it to contribute to it, and help improve it.
  • natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, I went through the learning curve w/ agoracart, and I am doing it again w/ oscommerce... oh well, just gotta keep plugging away I guess.
  • alexdio
  • alexdio

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.agoracart.com

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, that must be the security features... Don't allow people access to it, they can't do anything to it ;)
  • BubbaGum

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, I guess all I wanted to mention is that AgoraCart should not be ignored (over 500,000 users plus can't be wrong, and it's open source too).

I can't take on a moderator of a forum that loves and endorses osCommerce, but I do know which one works for my clients the best and which one is the most secure (and it's also listed in Fantastico as it is intergrated into the core of Cpanel and has been updated in most Cpanel distirbutions now to version 4.0K-4b instead of the old and ugly 4.0 version from almost 3 years ago)

Hope that helps anyone considering both carts. There are advantages to both and disadvantages as well. Both are free and open source. It will depend if you wish to have more flexibility in design and expandability (Agora) or more ease of use in in initial setup (osCommerce) as well as the number of items in your product database (osCommerce will handle more items currently).

BubbaGum
  • BubbaGum

Post 3+ Months Ago

AgoraCart.com site has restrictions on access from countries with high fraud/risk or something to that effect.

I remember this being mentioned last year by Mister Ed, the keeper of the code for AgoraCart

BubbaGum
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, you're not taking me on at all, please don't feel like you are.. I'm pushing osCommerce as an extremely satisfied user of the software. I've set it up for several clients, and have never experienced any security problems with it (although, for many of the installations it has been pretty highly customized & modified, so perhaps I had a few happy accidents and nuked those exploitable bits without even realising it).

Aogra is nice, you're right, it installs through Cpanel via a lil link in the addon scripts, and it does work good for some people.

The main advantage of osCommerce for msot of my clients is the PHP database, so they can more easily include store data on other areas of their site (random product in the forums, for example).

Strange that AgoraCart.com would blindly block whole countries when all people in those countries would need to do is find an insecure Socks proxy in the US to get around it. Meaning those who intend to commit fraud are probably going to get on anyway, and the legitimate users aren't able to get in.
  • BubbaGum

Post 3+ Months Ago

alrighty then.

well, that other issue is Mister Ed's arena. He probably had a good reason and since he knows a bit more about security and cyber crimes, I never asked him about it.

Appears to be a good forum here, so I'm sure I will be around more often.

BubbaGum

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts